Pentair Quad DE Filter - Do I need a Backwash valve?

Aug 27, 2018
Anaheim, CA
I am in the middle of a new pool build and have a question concerning the Pentair Quad DE filter. I purchased the Pentair FullFloFx backwash valve for the filter, but when my contractor went to install all of the equipment, he left out this 1 part. When I asked him why he did not install it, he said for 2 reasons:

1. There was not enough room where all of the equipment was installed to accommodate it
2. Its not really needed and I can just remove the filters and clean them

My question is. Do I really need a backwash valve? Everything is already installed/ plumbed. Should I push him to change it? I understand that it will save me from having to clean the filters more often, but am I going to regret not having it? I will most likely have a pool professional doing the maintenance anyways.

Appreciate any feedback on this as I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to protect this investment.

Scott

Equipment setup.jpg

Scott,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all of your "Mickey Mouse" pool questions.. :shark:

A lot of our members have found that it makes more sense to just open their Quad DE filters once or twice and year and clean them rather than backwash. Backwashing never removes all the old DE so you end up having to open them once a year anyway..

I would also make sure that the input and output pipes to the filter are correct as I believe that they are backwards compared to other filters..

I have a large cartridge filter and only clean it twice a year...

I don't have an issue with not installing the multiport, but I do have an issue with your PB's attitude... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

*Previous comments deleted, I somehow missed the fact OP was referring to a "Quad" DE filter*

Ask Mr. PB why they used DWV (Drain/Waste/Vent) fittings instead of SCH40. DWV is not pressure rated, and I see a lot of DWV fittings on this setup. Personally, I'd have them redo the plumbing.

Regards,
E

I have this same setup and was advised I didn't need a backwash valve by my pb as well.

I've cleaned this filter twice in 9 months and it probably is a 45 minute job for me. I don't really see the need for backwash in my setup though it may be a case of "I don't know what I don't know"?

I have the Quad 100 DE filter and about 20k gallon pool.

Quad DE 100 filters do not need to be cleaned any more frequently than once every 6 months. You can actually go a full year if need to assuming not much falls into your pool. The problem is that these are big filters...they are a pain to clean. Yes, it's all nice and easy to take a part..but it's a ton of DE to dispose of and it's heavy and bulky/etc. I like the filter because I can consolidate the cleaning into the 1-2 times/year I have a real pool tech come out to help me. I handle all the routine weekly/monthly issues myself. Has there been times that I wished I had a backwash valve? yes. But, truthfully, this filter doesn't need it.

Not sure If this could be considered a tip or not but I bought a trashcan for the filter cleaning. I wash each filter into the trashcan and after doing all four thouroughly, the can is about full with water.

I then reassemble my filter and get the pool back up and running while the can sits and the DE settles out of suspension. Once I make it back to the can I tip the can and let the water run off and drain the trashcan down until I see the DE settled out at the bottom. I let it sit for a day and then dump the DE into a large contactors trash bag, then, in the trash.

Is there an easier way? I'd love to hear it, if so!

Plumbing passed inspection today, and they didn't say anything about it. I will ask the PB about this. Thanks for the heads up.
*Previous comments deleted, I somehow missed the fact OP was referring to a "Quad" DE filter*

Ask Mr. PB why they used DWV (Drain/Waste/Vent) fittings instead of SCH40. DWV is not pressure rated, and I see a lot of DWV fittings on this setup. Personally, I'd have them redo the plumbing.

Regards,
E

Regards,
E

That looks like they used sweeps instead of 90's. That is schedule 40.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks like they used sweeps instead of 90's. That is schedule 40.

Red,

I personally don't think it makes any real difference one way or the other, but they appear to me to be DWV... I suspect you are correct, based upon your experience, but would like to know how you can tell by just looking at the pics?

What can you see in the pics that makes you sure they are schedule 40? We all want to learn.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Red,

I personally don't think it makes any real difference one way or the other, but they appear to me to be DWV... I suspect you are correct, based upon your experience, but would like to know how you can tell by just looking at the pics?

What can you see in the pics that makes you sure they are schedule 40? We all want to learn.

Thanks,

Jim R.

They are water way 90 sweeps 2". You can check them out at waterway plastics.

I can tell by looking at them is by how deep the insert is where you glue the pipe into the fitting.

DWV insert is about 1 1/2" deep while schedule 40 is about 3" deep. (Don't quote me on those measurements lol)

But basically if you can put as much pipe into it as your other proper fittings, then you're good to go.

They are water way 90 sweeps 2". You can check them out at waterway plastics.

I can tell by looking at them is by how deep the insert is where you glue the pipe into the fitting.

DWV insert is about 1 1/2" deep while schedule 40 is about 3" deep. (Don't quote me on those measurements lol)

But basically if you can put as much pipe into it as your other proper fittings, then you're good to go.

I agree with your reasoning and is exactly why I believe that they are DWV... I must need new glasses.. :D

Jim R.

Every time I clean my DE filter, I do a tear down cleaning. But I still use the back wash valve to get rid of the bulk of the DE before I open the filter and have to lift the core (laden with DE) out. Cuts down on the weight and the mess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.