Pentair QUAD 100 DE - Air Bleeder Screen Cap replacement due to tear?

Agree... if I am to consider moving away from the CelaPerl... any pool-grade DE recommendations available in Southern California...?

Also curious about any use of CelaPool ..

I’ve used CelaPool DE powder without issue for many years. It’s pool DE that has been treated so it retains a little moisture. It’s easy to scoop and it creates very little dust. Must better than standard DE which creates plumes of hazardous dust every time you scoop it. I used to wear a face mask all the time when scooping DE. When I can get CelaPool I don’t wear a mask.

I’ve used CelaPool DE powder without issue for many years. It’s pool DE that has been treated so it retains a little moisture. It’s easy to scoop and it creates very little dust. Must better than standard DE which creates plumes of hazardous dust every time you scoop it. I used to wear a face mask all the time when scooping DE. When I can get CelaPool I don’t wear a mask.
Thanks... Maybe I will switch up to CelaPool for this season plus a new air bleeder screen scrap... while monitoring 25% more closely....

If the DE is preferred over the perlite in CelaPerl.

DE and Perlite are both filtration media. Perlite is basically non-toxic while some forms of DE (like the kind used in pools) are inhalation hazards (crystallized silica is considered a carcinogen). But with perlite, you only need to use about half as much in a filter. On the other hand, perlite is more expensive than DE. Perlite is used as a clarifier in beer and wine making.

So it pretty much comes down to cost, availability, and preference.

Thanks.. have almost a full bag of Perlite left so may just use it up with the new air bleeder and monitor baseline pressure to not exceed 25% from baseline... do a change and inspect air bleeder... will be able to tell if it was due to me going higher on pressure and or the media type.

Appreciate all the input and feedback..

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
New air bleeder cap… left side is new aftermarket

Attachments

• IMG_8169.jpeg
    IMG_8169.jpeg
    616.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8170.jpeg
    IMG_8170.jpeg
    657.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8171.jpeg
    IMG_8171.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8172.jpeg
    IMG_8172.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 3
Back in business...

Baseline readings after installing new gauge, adding new air relief screen, removing all air from filter, and adding back (8) 1/2 scoops from Blue Devil of CelaPerl.

Baseline readings after Filter cleaning:
  • Pool Pump rpm / Visiflow reading / Filter PSI
  • 1200 rpm / 30 GPM, 0 PSI
  • 2000 rpm / 45 GPM, 4 PSI
  • 2500 rpm / 60 GPM, 8.5 PSI
Any reason why the new pressure gauge from tftestkits.net only has 3 tick marks to 5 but rest have 4... different way to read up to 5?

1713915489709.png

New air relief screen fit like OEM
1713915535878.png

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I'd use the 2500 rpm and 8.5 psi for clean pressure.
Clean at 10.5 - 11 psi.

At 2000 rpm and 4 psi, the time to clean pressure would be 5 psi. Probably a little hard to actually read 4 psi on a gauge with only 3 marks between 0 and 5.

No idea why the markings are that way. I have the same gauge and just know where it normally sits at different rpms. If checking if I need to clean the filter, I check mine at 2900 rpm as that's the fastest the pump schedule is set for.

Reactions: tomas21
My guess is the gauge just isn’t very linear below 5psi. So the markings needed to be spaced differently. Once you get above 5psi, then the movement of the dial is more or less linear with pressure.

Thanks again... Running the pump at spa speed 3000 RPM ... the filter is at 21PSI...

I now have a variety of PSI baselines to reference to be more proactive once we hit near 25%

Reactions: proavia