Pentair pump - crack in basket

It really is the pump basket but on this pump the volute and pump basket are all one piece. Think I'll look at pricing a new pump too. It's old and noisy.
Ah, it didn't freeze, it attempted the ultimate escape! Failed, then you tried to resuscitate, but it's still trying to end things! 🪦

Might be throwing good money after bad if you fix it...

Mark, what's the average lifespan for an IntelliFlo?

This pump is used for our water features and is not our main pump.
Is the feature pump an Intelliflo? The schematic posted earlier looks like it is a SuperFlo.

As for pump life, that varies wildly. But if it is getting noisy, then the bearings are likely on their way out. It will be more cost effective to get a new pump.

It is a SuperFlo and I was suspecting last year that the bearings were going cause it was getting noisy. This pump is used to feed my waterfall water feature. We don't use it all the time. I think a variable speed for this usage may be overkill. My filter pump is a Pentair variable and it is a great pump.

I think a variable speed for this usage may be overkill.
Look for a water feature pump. They run at lower speed and are designed for low head high flow situations. I assume your water feature pump has its own suction in the pool.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Yes, it has it's own suction. I will look at other pumps as you suggest. The pool is 5 years old and this SuperFlo was what the builder installed. I'm also going to look at a two speed. It would be ideal to be able to run the waterfalls at full mode but also at low flow to create more of a flow down the wall when we want that look.

but also at low flow to create more of a flow down the wall when we want that look.
Not to mention less racket from the pump and the water. Sometimes you just want a little background, ambient, soothing water sounds... I like your two-speed idea.

Reactions: thptrek
A regular two-speed on high is anything but quiet. Not sure if a water feature pump has a different sound profile. Hopefully so.

Waterfall pumps are low head pumps so the plumbing and water feature need to have very low head loss.

What size is the pipe going to and from the feature?

Is the feature a true waterfall or is it a descent, scupper, etc.?

Pictures might help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.