Pentair Overcurrent Issue

Dec 5, 2018
Palm City, FL
I have had a pool renovation going on for the past 9 months (way too long). I just finished the fill and went to turn on the pump and started getting an Over Current error F90059. I cleaned out the basket and there doesn’t appear to have any debris jammed in the pump. I reach in as far as I could go and additionally felt no debris but could not turn anything. Does anyone have any ideas on what I may be able to do in order to get the pump running again? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eric,

You should be able to turn the impeller at least a little. Take the cover off the fan end and see if you can turn the motor shaft from there.. Obviously with the power off..

I saw an interesting thread just the other day about the wet end of the pump coming loose from the motor end. This cause the rotor to contact the windings, keeping the motor from turning and causing over current alarm. I'll see if I can find it..

Also.. VS pumps should have constant AC power. If your pump is controled by a timer or a relay, then suddenly shutting off the AC power can give you similar alarms.

Here it is.. Overcurrent alarms on the now discontinued intelliflo. Area to watch

Thanks,

Jim R.

Eric,

You should be able to turn the impeller at least a little. Take the cover off the fan end and see if you can turn the motor shaft from there.. Obviously with the power off..

I saw an interesting thread just the other day about the wet end of the pump coming loose from the motor end. This cause the rotor to contact the windings, keeping the motor from turning and causing over current alarm. I'll see if I can find it..

Also.. VS pumps should have constant AC power. If your pump is controled by a timer or a relay, then suddenly shutting off the AC power can give you similar alarms.

Here it is.. Overcurrent alarms on the now discontinued intelliflo. Area to watch

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, I’ll try that in the morning.

Eric,

Thanks,

Jim R.
While I did not take the cover off the fan I did try to stick a screwdriver in and manually tried to manipulate the fan and it didn’t budge. I would be surprised if it really is seized as it is only about 4-5 years old. My gut is that it is stuck due to being off for 9 months during the renovation. Do you happen to know if there is a way to manually spin the motor with an Allen wrench or something like a dishwasher disposal has? Thanks

Have you tried to remove the motor/impeller assembly from the wet end? Going through the pump basket may not reveal the obstruction.

I just serviced my VSF pump for new seals. Its very easy to take apart. It could be the motor bearings. Do you have any signs of water leak on the motor?

Reactions: newdude
I just serviced my VSF pump for new seals. Its very easy to take apart. It could be the motor bearings. Do you have any signs of water leak on the motor?
No signs of a leak, motor appears to be seized. Even the fan won’t turn.

Eric,

Thanks,

Jim R.
It appears that the motor has seized. The pump is only approximately 4-5 years old. Thoughts on replacing the motor vs the entire pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No signs of a leak, motor appears to be seized. Even the fan won’t turn.
Seized motor can be 2 things:
1. Bearings
2. Short in windings that welded the rotor.
Your story does not add up to an electrical short, so my suggestion is to open up the motor and check the bearings. This is also the least expensive parts. If its the other, no need to put it back together and buy a replacement as said before.

Reactions: goldmaes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.