Pentair or Jandy

Neoex

Jun 18, 2019
Tulsa
My current pool is Pentair Intellicenter and to be honest, I have not been impressed over the last 3 years with all their "growing" pains with different apps, downtimes, and seemingly short comings with technology. and have almost had all the equipment get replaced under warranty except 1 pump and 3 intellivalves.

I do want to have control via my Control4 home automation.

Can i go wrong with Jandy for my new build? or are all these companies similar and it just all breaks reguarly

Current pool in my signature new pool will be

16,000 gallon
hot tub
not doing salt this time
2 led bubblers in sun ledge
2 LED lights 1 pool 1 spa
3 fire features
1 LED waterfall
1 blower for spot
sunken system(pool equip below water line)

It is widely recognized that Pentair Intellicenter is the leading automation. In spite of the issues you have noted, they provide updates and good tech support. I have Jandy and while it is stable, there is no upgrades unless you purchase new PCBs. I put mine in 3 years ago and works well but there has been at least 2 releases of new PCBs which I have not done due to cost of each new PCB.
Hayward has released a new automation but need others to comment on that.

In addition to the IntelliCenter getting OTA firmware updates which require a new chip in Aqualink other differences are:
  • IntelliCenter has integrated networking. Aqualink requires a separate iAqualink antenna.
  • IntelliCenter is modular expandable with personality boards. Aqualink needs full board replacement for any changes.
  • IntelliCenter has a color touch screen display on the OCP allowing full system control and programming. Aqualink has no outdoor display, cannot be programmed from the OCP, and has rudimentary buttons on the OCP for basic controls.
  • Pentair has done more IntelliCenter RS-485 integration of their VS pumps, MasterTemp gas heater, and UltraTemp HP then Jandy has with their equivalent devices.
  • IntelliCenter has a nice color touch screen Indoor Control Panel. Aqualink wants you to be totally app dependent with iAqualink.
  • Pentair has had their share of technology failures like the Intellivalves and some of the IntelliCenter firmware releases but they are iterating through the issues and will get it right. No sign Jandy is trying.
If you are unhappy with Pentair technology you will be VERY unhappy with Jandy. I had Jandy stuff and an Aqualink and over a few years I changed all my equipment to Pentair and am happy I did.

Reactions: TonyR68
In addition to the IntelliCenter getting OTA firmware updates which require a new chip in Aqualink other differences are:
  • IntelliCenter has integrated networking. Aqualink requires a separate iAqualink antenna.
  • IntelliCenter is modular expandable with personality boards. Aqualink needs full board replacement for any changes.
  • IntelliCenter has a color touch screen display on the OCP allowing full system control and programming. Aqualink has no outdoor display, cannot be programmed from the OCP, and has rudimentary buttons on the OCP for basic controls.
  • Pentair has done more IntelliCenter RS-485 integration of their VS pumps, MasterTemp gas heater, and UltraTemp HP then Jandy has with their equivalent devices.
  • IntelliCenter has a nice color touch screen Indoor Control Panel. Aqualink wants you to be totally app dependent with iAqualink.
  • Pentair has had their share of technology failures like the Intellivalves and some of the IntelliCenter firmware releases but they are iterating through the issues and will get it right. No sign Jandy is trying.
If you are unhappy with Pentair technology you will be VERY unhappy with Jandy. I had Jandy stuff and an Aqualink and over a few years I changed all my equipment to Pentair and am happy I did.
This is the first complete comparison I have seen - side by side. Thanks Allen for documenting this.

This is the first complete comparison I have seen - side by side.

I think it is more like the highlights then complete.

I think the Intellichlor is better engineered then the Aquapure; The MasterTemp and JXI heaters are close to equal; Pentair has better heat pumps but Jandy has a new line of heat pumps that may be as good; Pentair VS pumps and Jandy pumps are close to equal although Pentair pumps have greater HP and I don't like all the pumps Jandy has with no control panel.

Overall there is nothing that Jandy does better then Pentair IMHO and quite a few things that Pentair does better. So why bother with Jandy stuff?

Reactions: HermanTX