Pentair Multiport? DE / Sand plumbing?

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

I have a Pentair multiport 261055 which I am using for DE. A friend of mine had the same multiport installed for his setup. He has a Triton sand filter.

Our plumbing is the same but his seems to have a cloudy pool (just opened it).

The manual says:

FILTER PUMP►SAND TOP/DE BOTTOM►THROUGH FILTER► SAND BOTTOM/DE TOP►POOL RETURN

BACKWASH PUMP►SAND BOTTOM/DE TOP►THROUGH FILTER► SAND TOP/DE BOTTOM►WASTE

Does this mean that a DE filter should be plumbed different from a sand filter?

Thank you,
Rich

Hi - So my filter is a FNS Plus DE and my filter is a Pentair 261152. Sorry I think I mistyped.

My friend has a Pentair Triton 2 sand filter and a Pentair 261055 multiport. He said his pool was semi-clear but the bottom was so cloudy he couldn't see the bottom.

His multiport was put on a few days ago and plumbed the same way mine is plumbed (pump -> then top part of multiport -> then bottom of mulitport -> then heater -> then back to pool).

I am not sure if he was having an issue with his multiport not being plumbed correctly or a chemical issue. He had his pool installed last year & the sand filter was plumbed incorrectly (He had the tube looking port previously), and when it was fixed, the pool cleared up within a day. The plumbing being an issue is just a potential guess as the instructions say:

FILTER PUMP►SAND TOP/DE BOTTOM►THROUGH FILTER► SAND BOTTOM/DE TOP►POOL RETURN

This may be so basic of a question that it doesnt make sense as there could be only 1 way to plumb it.

My photo shows the pump going into the top of my multiport, then the bottom of the multiport going to the pool return. I thought that means you could do it the other way also - run the pump to bottom of multiport, then top of multiport to pool return.

Sorry if I am being wordy - the main question is in the photo below, if the filter was a triton 2 sand, and multiport was a 261055 would that be the proper plumbing direction?

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• Pumppool.jpg
    Pumppool.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 2
The pump goes to the top port in either multiport and the lower port is the return.

You can't plumb it backwards.

The multiports are different inside.

DE on the left, sand on the right.

1653664966595.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.