Pentair Minimax NT question (not what you think)

May 7, 2013
Brookeville, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
So yes, I do have the occasional E04 error, but I think I've traced that down to a bad igniter. I just have to figure out where the igniter is.... but ignore that for the moment.

No, what real question is about the 3 digits LED display. Over the past 3-4 seasons, the LED display has gradually burned out. I was about to order a new board, but I remember when the heater was new, I had to replace the control board, so I have a control board with a (what I think) is a good LED display. It's sitting on my desk and it looks brand new.

While there's some surface mount chips on the board, the LED display itself is just plain PCB soldering, do you think it's worth a shot to pull the LED display off the old board and swap it on the (working) board? The only reason I hesitate is I'm not sure if it's the LED that burns out or one of those surface mount chips that drives the display.

What do you have to lose by trying to swap LED displays on your board?

Worst case you end up buying another board which you would do anyway if you don’t try the fix.

That's true. I'll probably give it a shot next weekend; I've been swamped dealing with the house stuff and the new replaster trying to get the water balanced and plaster brushed.

absolutely try it! if you can get it to work you'll save yourself a bundle and it'd be great to have the info here ;)

one question... when you say "gradually burned out"... are all segments totally off or have they just faded or gotten dimmer? and is it all segments on all digits or just some? if the thing is in the sun, I bet it's the leds that are bad and not the driver

I mean the LED segments have been burning out one by one over the past 4 years until it's hard to tell the temp.

I was going to do the switchover this weekend, but I got involved in many projects, including a now complete replaster. Keeping the water balanced and the leaves out is not for the faint-hearted in mid-november. But the pool looks amazing. The WetEdge finish looks stunning and it is interestingly giving the water a bit of a green cast, which was unexpected.

I was having issues with the Pentair heater not always firing up; I found a killer deal on a new Fenwal Igniter module, and I put that in. I'm gradually getting the chemistry settled in, as I deal with brushing the pool in 38 degree weather. And of course, cyanuric acid doesn't dissolved very easily in 80 degree water. You can imagine it in 40 degree water. I chipped the ice out of the mixing bucket this morning...

Anyway, I am waiting for a new solder sucker; if it comes tomorrow, I'll give it a try. It should be a 30 minute job.

ahh good to know... so the board itself is fine and it's just the LEDs that have faded.

are there any part numbers on the display? - I know you've got an extra board from which to pull a replacement, but somebody else that runs into this problem can probably get a replacement display online. the displays are cheap but you have to know the pinout and whether it's common anode or common cathode.

oh and good luck with the cya, and get some pictures up of this new plaster job!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.