Barrie, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
So I have a new (this season) Mastertemp 200. Ran great all season until a few days ago when I got home, and despite the heater being "on" all day, the pool was still cool and the heater wasn't running. E05 error.

I could watch the SFS temp climb from ambient to approx 290º. It would hover around that, then display 40º. Then back to approx 290º for a time, then 40º. Eventually the heater would shutdown and display the E05 error.

After some troubleshooting / online reading, it seems that a bad SFS sensor is the likely culprit. So I ordered two.

But while I waited for them to arrive I wanted to:

a) Verify it was the sensor / rule out the control board; and
b) Use my pool in the mean time.

So I got to work trying to figure out what I had to do to bypass the sensor.

I had some old resistors laying around the house so I put them together with some jumper wires. They're 220 kΩ.

After some testing I found that:

220 kΩ was approx. 190º;
440 kΩ was approx. 160º; and
660 kΩ was approx. 140º.

The nice thing is that this seems a clear indication that the control board is fine, and it is in fact a bad sensor.

Obviously this isn't proper and is dangerous. But it will get you running in the meantime.

I feel comfortable doing this on a temporary basis since my SFS was steadily 290º prior to this, and I verified using a temp probe that showed the same. This is only used while I'm home and present to supervise in case anything does go haywire.

New sensor arrives tomorrow, so hopefully that will fix the issue "permanently" (or until the sensor fails again.)

Not what we would recommend the average member try but anyone who can operate JT8 engines is qualified to give it a try.

They were something else! A marvel of the time though.

Well new sensor's arrived and it's been replaced. Error has not returned. I'll be closing the whole thing on Monday anyway.

I have the same heater, and use it year round. You may find it useful to keep at least these three parts on standby at all times. If you don't want to wait to use your pool every time they fail. Mine fails with these parts quite often: thermal regulator, stack flue sensor, membrane keypad. The keypad is 3 times a year. Thankfully they are all cheap. I also keep a control board on hand, but that one only blows out every other year or so. This week I replaced the air flow switch for the first time.....so that's new. 🤔

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.