Pentair Mastertemp 400 - Not igniting No errors

delyles

Apr 23, 2020
Houston Texas
I have a Mastertemp 400 that is not igniting. At startup the blower does not turn on. No errors on LED Panel or on board. No lights on ICM.

I direct wired the blower to ICM and the blower does power up, but still no ignition.

The article I was following stated if blower works with direct wiring, then the issues is either bad ICM or bad control board. Anyone know how I can test to figure out if my problem is the ICM or the Control board?

Not sure on gas pressure, how can I determine that? It is propane and we did just have the tank top off recently (heater issue started after tank filled). Could that have anything to do with it?

the light on the Fenwal does not flash at any point

You sure you have proper gas pressures?

The heater NG or propane?

Check if the LED is flashing on the Fenwal box in the electrical area when it does not start.

More on the Fenwal at Heater Flame Sensing - Further Reading

Not sure on gas pressure, how can I determine that? It is propane and we did just have the tank top off recently (heater issue started after tank filled). Could that have anything to do with it?

I dont get a AFS or any other lights, blower does not come on. So no call for heat...is that a control board or ICM issue or something else I need to be looking at?

If your heater connected to automation?

Do you have a connection to the "firemans switch"?

Pentair_MasterTemp_Firemans_Switch.jpg

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. IT helps us help you better.

If you are not getting the air blower running or an AFS error then you are not getting to the gas and ignition stage.

If you are not getting the air blower running or an AFS error then you are not getting to the gas and ignition stage.
I would agree with that, definitely no hint of gas or any noise of gas. Is it possible the Propane company coming out to fill the propane tank caused issues with gas flow to heater? I dont have a clue how to test if heater is getting gas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't clearly see what wires are connected to the two firemans switch connections.

Let's have you put the heater into local control to rule out an EasyTouch problem. Disconnect the two wires leading to the ET and jumper the firemans switch connections to restore local control. Then see if the heater turns on using its control keypad.

It looks like you have the yellow jumper wire with clips on the end you can slide onto the connectors on the bottom of the cabinet.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I can't clearly see what wires are connected to the two firemans switch connections.

Let's have you put the heater into local control to rule out an EasyTouch problem. Disconnect the two wires leading to the ET and jumper the firemans switch connections to restore local control. Then see if the heater turns on using its control keypad.

It looks like you have the yellow jumper wire with clips on the end you can slide onto the connectors on the bottom of the cabinet.
ok, tried that, removed ET wires, jumped firemans switch with the yellow jumper wire, ran spa from control panel in Service mode. Still same issue, heating light blinks for 20-30 seconds, blower does not run, then service heater light on. no other error codes or lights on control board or ICM.

Attachments

• 20211016_172931.jpg
    20211016_172931.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211016_172955.jpg
    20211016_172955.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 7
OK, leave it that way. It makes it easier working on the heater.

Flip over the board and show us a pic of the diagnostic LEDs when the SERVICE HEATER is on.

Pentair_MasterTemp_Diagnostic_LEDs.jpg

@ps0303

Show us the entire board. Your board looks old with the component layout very different then the latest board @JamesW posted.

That circuit board looks like it is in bad shape.

How old is the heater?

Is water getting on the circuit board?

It looks like the Membrane pad is cracked in a few places?
I'll get some better pictures tomorrow, I dont think what looks like water is actually water. There was no sign of water on the board earlier when I had the box opened up. I think that may be blistering....that looks like water with the flash on my phone.

The heater is 5 years old. It did go through the Texas deep freeze last winter.

I've attached a few more photos I took earlier today of the board.

Attachments

• 20211016_181934.jpg
    20211016_181934.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211016_181947.jpg
    20211016_181947.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211016_182008.jpg
    20211016_182008.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.