Pentair Mastertemp 400-Blank Screen-No Power

Follow the black wire out of your heater to the right.

firemans switch control.jpg

I think the two wires in the black cable that disappears into the upper right of the pic are the "fireman's switch" control cable. The two wires connect into the orange and blue wire nuts in the heater.

Can you follow that black cable out of the heater into where it goes?
Yes sir. It leads back to the Easy Touch Control System.....to this holy mess. I’m guessing I need to track that wire back to the breaker it belongs to?image.jpg

The black wire goes up the left hand low voltage channel and into the top low voltage area. It does not connect to any "breaker".

You need to remove the top screws on the upper left and right and flip down the control panel. You will then see the low voltage connections. The two wires should connect to J19.

1616267343019.png

The black wire goes up the left hand low voltage channel and into the top low voltage area. It does not connect to any "breaker".

You need to remove the top screws on the upper left and right and flip down the control panel. You will then see the low voltage connections. The two wires should connect to J19.

View attachment 316444
Yes sir...they do.image.jpg

Great! So we traced the control cable and it looks like it is properly connected on both ends and has not been chewed by any critters.

Here is what I would do next and you need to decide if you are comfortable doing it. I want to disconnect the control cable at the heater and tie together the two yellow wires connected to the heater board.

Remove the two wire nuts, separate the wires, and use one wire nut to connect the two yellow wires together.

Now your heater will be on local control from its control panel. If your heater works it tells us the problem is in the connection to the EasyTouch. If it still does not work then it tells us the problem is in your heater.

Connect the yellow wires together. Put your EasyTouch panel back together, power up your ET and your CBs and turn on your pump. Once your pump is running press POOL ON on the heater.

image-jpg.316424

Great! So we traced the control cable and it looks like it is properly connected on both ends and has not been chewed by any critters.

Here is what I would do next and you need to decide if you are comfortable doing it. I want to disconnect the control cable at the heater and tie together the two yellow wires connected to the heater board.

Remove the two wire nuts, separate the wires, and use one wire nut to connect the two yellow wires together.

Now your heater will be on local control from its control panel. If your heater works it tells us the problem is in the connection to the EasyTouch. If it still does not work then it tells us the problem is in your heater.

Connect the yellow wires together. Put your EasyTouch panel back together, power up your ET and your CBs and turn on your pump. Once your pump is running press POOL ON on the heater.

image-jpg.316424
Like this?image.jpg

Yup, good job. Now button things up and power up the ET and pump and see if the heater comes alive.

Allright!! Your heater is fine.

You want to dig in further into the EasyTouch control wire?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you had your ET set to demand heat and the heater did not go on did you try pressing POOL ON or SPA ON on the heater?

You know how to to a continuity check on a wire using your multimeter?

Either by looking for 0 ohms on a wire or some multimeters will give you a tone when the wire has continuity.

Review these instructions. When you touch the two probes together you should hear a tone. Let me know when you get that working on your meter.

1616270890716.png

Okay, back to the heater. The two wires that you disconnected from the yellow heater wires.

If things are working properly when your EasyTouch wants heat the two wires will be connected which means if you put your probes on the two wires you will get a tone.

If the EasyTouch does not want heat then the two wires will be open and with your probes you will not get a tone.

So touch the probes to the two wires and see if you get a tone.

Then turn on the pool heater on your EasyTouch and see if you now get a tone when you touch the two wires with the MM probes.

This is basically testing the relay on the EasyTouch board and the wires.

Okay, back to the heater. The two wires that you disconnected from the yellow heater wires.

If things are working properly when your EasyTouch wants heat the two wires will be connected which means if you put your probes on the two wires you will get a tone.

If the EasyTouch does not want heat then the two wires will be open and with your probes you will not get a tone.

So touch the probes to the two wires and see if you get a tone.

Then turn on the pool heater on your EasyTouch and see if you now get a tone when you touch the two wires with the MM probes.

This is basically testing the relay on the EasyTouch board and the wires.
I touched both probes to the green wire at the same time and got a tone. The. Touched both probes to the yellow wire at the same time and got a tone.image.jpg

Touch one probe to the green and one probe to the yellow at the same time.

When the ET relay is closed wanting heat the two wires are connected together.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.