Pentair Mastertemp 250K BTU heater loud humming

This might not be relevant however when I replaced my 400k heater they took out the flex line and hard plumbed it, stating that the flex lines might not pass inspection and make a lot of noise for high BTU appliances. Not sure if 250k qualifies or not.

Reactions: JamesW
Even when you get the pressure fixed, the problem of the noise might not go away.

I suspect that the heat exchanger might be sooted, which will obstruct the air flow.

Check the outlet where the exhaust exits the building to see if you can see any black soot.

This might not be relevant however when I replaced my 400k heater they took out the flex line and hard plumbed it, stating that the flex lines might not pass inspection and make a lot of noise for high BTU appliances. Not sure if 250k qualifies or not.
Flex can be a problem and it is usually discouraged. It can be used as long as it is sized correctly.

Flex can't be sized according to the pipe size in the manual.

Flex comes with specific ratings from the manufacturer.

The use of Flexible Connectors (FLEX) is NOT recommended unless they are properly sized according to the supplier recommendations for the heater rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmk
They took a branch off the RayPack line just before the regulator and ran it to the new Pentair Heater for the newly installed pool.
You should make sure that the line is big enough to supply both heaters at the same time.

The main meter also has to be big enough to supply both heaters at the same time if they can both run at the same time.

Check the meter model. For example, a 250 model is rated for 250,000 btu/hr.

You might want to create a screen to enclose the suction air intake.

Animals such as birds and mice like to climb into things like that and build nests.

Make sure that you don't create an obstruction that could restrict the air flow.

I would check the air intake to make sure that nothing got into the fan area.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.