Pentair Mastertemp 250 cuts on and off

Old Beach Guy

Aug 22, 2019
North east SC coast
Last night I turned on my Mastertemp 250. The water temp was 65 initially. It worked fine until the water temp. got to around 85. Then it began to shut off, and the service heater light would come on for about a minute. It would go off and the heating light would come on and it would restart, run for a couple minutes and do the same thing over and over. I took the cover off and could not see any debris or anything amiss. All comments are appreciated.

Y'all are the best. I took the thermal regulator out this morning and sure enough it doesn't open. Since it's under warranty, my pool company is getting me a replacement. It seems a little corroded. I haven't fired up the heater in a couple months. Should I run it every week or so to keep it loosened up? 84B6D44E-3569-483B-9223-50C1A748E1DD_1_201_a.jpeg

Make sure that the pool chemistry is correct.

If you have a chlorine tab feeder, never leave the pump off when there are tabs in the feeder because the chlorine will migrate through the system and cause damage to everything.

It probably wouldn't hurt to run the heater for about 10 minutes every few weeks or so.

It's a salt pool. I plan on setting the heater on a weekly schedule. Here on the SC coast, our water has a high PH. I go through about 1/2 gallon of acid a week. By the way, it won't hurt to run the system without the part if the valve to the spa is off will it?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.