Pentair Master Temp 400 from heck

Dec 31, 2018
Corona, CA
We inherited this pool with our new house 2 months ago and I’ve been trying to get the heater working this whole time. It runs for a few minutes before cycling on/off a couple times and then the service heater light comes on. None of the red led’s on the control board come on.

I have replaced the bypass valve, the manifold o-rings, thermistor, thermal regulator, and control board.

I removed the thermal regulator to see if it worked w/o it and it did, so I replaced it, but it still won’t work with the new one installed.

I’m running out of ideas, so if anyone has one I’m all ears!

Thank you!

Have you followed the Troubleshooting charts starting on page 38 of the manual?

Ignitor or ignition control module?

Last edited:
Could your replacement thermal regulator have been bad?

Have you checked that the heat exchanger is not corroded and leaking?

Bad thermal regulator should show E05 or E06 on panel.

this sounds very similar to an issue I had with my unit. I had to remove the burner assembly and clean it. There are a bunch of little holes that the gas flow through, if they get dirty or clogged the gas flow is not enough so it cuts off after a few minutes, retries a couple times and then throws the service required light on.

Please let me know if you would like additional details on how to remove the burner assembly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.