Pentair master temp 400 afs light

bdenhart06

Mar 28, 2020
Richmond Tx
I have a Pentair Mastertemp 400 with an AFS light on. The heater turns on and runs for 10 seconds and turns off and throws the light on. Before this light came on I replaced the pressure switch, high limit switch, thermistor, manifold bypass valve, and control board due to an issue caused by the bypass valve in the manifold. When removing my manifold I noticed my coils were in good shape and didn't have and water in the heat exchanger. I put my ohm meter on the afs switch and it is good. When I bypass the switch and turn the heater on it runs and then starts getting really loud and shaky before I shut it off so I don't mess something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

From what I saw when I had the blower off it didn't look that dirty. Is this a common problem? Could it be the igniter control module or the blower not blowing hard enough? It ran all day long 2 days ago after I changed all the parts out with no issues and once I went to turn it on yesterday it threw the afs code.

When I bypass the switch and turn the heater on it runs and then starts getting really loud and shaky...
That might be due to poor water flow or air flow. If you're confident about the water flow, I think that you're probably going to have to check the heat exchanger for sooting.

If it was a water flow issue, the high limit led would probably be coming on.

Since you're getting an AFS led, that points to an airflow problem.

Check the blower for signs of mouse nests. If the blower is clear, check the heat exchanger.

Check the thermal regulator to make sure that it's ok.

Try running the heater with the thermal regulator left out to see if that makes any difference.

When the heater starts, press and hold the On button to make the exhaust temperature display.

If the heater sounds bad on startup, shut it off quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just opened it up

Attachments

• O+hCMtGoRgSOMfq4+UHvTQ.jpg
    O+hCMtGoRgSOMfq4+UHvTQ.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 12
  • YJKdyS%QT0Kz%WuhWDveCQ.jpg
    YJKdyS%QT0Kz%WuhWDveCQ.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 10
  • GijnHUQeQsKgq6HNKV096Q.jpg
    GijnHUQeQsKgq6HNKV096Q.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 11
  • cyfS1EmbTWeUgSREvw9wOw.jpg
    cyfS1EmbTWeUgSREvw9wOw.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 6xnJjjnVRUeqCOYtHhMEcg.jpg
    6xnJjjnVRUeqCOYtHhMEcg.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 10
  • +%%5rTUXQ1CujsbqHJvd9A.jpg
    +%%5rTUXQ1CujsbqHJvd9A.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Bq3t1fpcQSecY+zLn2bJ%g.jpg
    Bq3t1fpcQSecY+zLn2bJ%g.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 10
  • WcOZ1v80RBqa4g50PHja5Q.jpg
    WcOZ1v80RBqa4g50PHja5Q.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 11
  • xSG4uOKJSzy78v7yY3isNg.jpg
    xSG4uOKJSzy78v7yY3isNg.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 13
  • VgmjSlWtRNC9dQrM7RFHIg.jpg
    VgmjSlWtRNC9dQrM7RFHIg.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 12
Hard to tell. At this point it's probably best to pull it out and clean it up.

When you put the manifold back on, you're going to need new gaskets.

Hopefully, that will resolve the air flow issue.

Maybe check the gas pressure to see if it's off enough to cause sooting.

Also, be alert to any signs of mice. They can sometimes build a nest in the blower, which can interfere with the airflow

Last edited:
once I looked at it again this morning I left one of the gas valves off so when I started it up again it ignited and ran for 10 seconds and shut back off and through the afs light on. I by passed the afs switch and put a ohm meter on it and it shows good. I just put a brand new control board last week. Do you think it could be a ignition control module?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.