Pentair Intelliflow question

JPC12345

Sep 22, 2019
Florida
Hi, I am a new pool owner and have a question about my pool pump. It’s a Pentair Intelliflow pump. I also have a Pentair Ultratemp heat pump. When the heat pump is on, the default flow dependent pool pump speed is 2150. Without the heat pump on the pool pump runs at 3000 for the first time range of the day. So here is my question finally. Some mornings the heat pump is on and the pool pump runs in its flow dependent mode of 2150. Other mornings the heat pump is also on, but the pool pump runs at the scheduled speed of 3000. I can’t figure out why it differs day to day. It seems to me it should either run at one speed or the other when the heat pump is on. Any ideas?

JPC,

I suspect that you have some type of automation system.. Such as an EasyTouch, IntelliTouch or the new IntelliCenter.

Tell us what is controlling your pump speed..

Do you have just a pool or a pool and spa combination...

In my my mind there is almost never a reason for you to run the IntelliFlo at 3K...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have the Intelliconnect automation system. The pool company set the pump speeds, with the first 2 hours of the day running at 3000, then it goes down to 1800 for the next 6 hours. I never questioned those settings, as I assumed they know what’s best (I sure don’t!) I also don’t have a spa just the pool.

JPC,

If you have an IntelliConnect, then you should have an app on your PC or phone that tells the pump what speeds to run. I don't know a lot about the IntelliConnect, so let me see what I can find.

In the meantime, can you look at your app and show us some screen shots of anything related to pump speed or flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim- this is the heart of my question. Some mornings the app shows the pool pump running in “flow dependent mode” (2150 rpm)meaning that the heat pump settings are controlling the pool pump speed. Other mornings the pool pump is running “speed 1” (3000 rpm) here is what the app looks like now- speed 1 and heat pump on

Attachments

• 66EC8F81-5E96-466D-A3F2-372FD8D21AA6.png
    66EC8F81-5E96-466D-A3F2-372FD8D21AA6.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 13
JPC,

Either the IntelliConnect's manual is lacking, or I am just an idiot, or maybe both... :mrgreen:

Flow dependent mode just means that the pump has to be running for the heater to work.. I really doubt that the heater is actually telling the pump anything. Do you know how your pump is being controlled? Is your heater connected via an RS-485 cable, or by what is called a fireman's switch?? If you don't know, show us a pic of the connections inside the IntelliConnect.. The lower left is where the RS-485 and heater controls are located..

My "guess" is that when the automation is telling the heater to heat, the pump is running at the "heater speed" and that when the automation is not calling for heat, the pump runs at its normal speed.

Normally how this works is that the heater is set to full hot, but does not heat until the automation tells the heater to turn on.. When the water gets up to the set point you have on your app, the automation tells the heater to quit heating.

Let's see if we can get other members that have the IntelliConnect to chime in.. This time of year we do not have as many members on line, so it might be a day or so..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim, sorry for delayed response, and thanks again for your help. I agree with you that the documentation is a little lacking, and that’s probably a good part of the issue.

I don’t think it’s a wiring issue though as a Pentair rep was here on another issue and confirmed it was all wired correctly. Just the same, I’m attaching a picture of the wires.

I do realize that if the heater is on when the pool pump schedule calls for a lower speed, it will operate on the higher speed called for in the heat pump settings. The manual seems to indicate this.

I just don’t know why when the pool pump schedule calls for a higher program speed, sometimes that speed will take precedence, and other times the lower heat pump speed( the flow dependent speed) will take precedence.

this is all more of a curiosity for me, than it is a problem. Thanks

Attachments

• C628B9A3-0154-4344-96F1-818AB601C952.png
    C628B9A3-0154-4344-96F1-818AB601C952.png
    363.5 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.