Pentair Intelliflo XF Leaking at the base after 1 week after changing the shaft seal.

Hi. My Pentair Intelliflo XF was leaking at the base where the motor meets the pump a few weeks ago. I replaced the shaft seal, diffuser and main o-rings. After, no leaking, then about a week to 10 days goes by and the leak is back. When replacing the shaft seal, the old one did not look real bad, but this is hard to really tell.

Any suggestions? I guess maybe I need to replace the shaft seal again, but before I open it up, what else should I look for?

Thanks.

Make sure that you get a good seal. I recommend the PS-201V-CMS or the PS-1908.

Don't get any contamination on the seal face or wipe it down with rubbing alcohol

You can use a tiny bit of liquid dish soap to help install the seal.

Note: Edited because the first draft was for the regular Intelliflo, which is different from the Intelliflo XF.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for commenting. I did most of what you mentioned except the rubbing alcohol. I used the PS-3868. This was crossed from the Pentair p/n at the distributor and could have been wrong for this XF pump. I will be getting the manual from my office later to see what it calls for and report back. Sounds like your p/n's could be correct and what should have gone in.

That is what my manual says and I think your right. One change as my memory (or lack of) reminded me is my pump was purchased 1/2015, but had a warranty repair 1/2017 due to a bearing going bad. A new motor was installed (post Aug. 2015) where a 17351-0101S is called for. Below is an email I sent to a Pentair customer service guy. Hopefully it describes more, but I think you are right on this. Thanks

Hi Sean,

I need your help in determining the shaft seal for my Intelliflo XF. Or maybe refer me to someone who can.

The attached previous emails will prove help in regarding this effort.

It turns out that XF pumps purchased before Aug. 2015 requires a 37400-0028S, after Aug. 2015 requires a 17351-0101S. Mine was purchased 1/2015, I had a bearing problem repaired under warranty 1/2017 where a new Power drive was installed. I believe this was a new motor, with my old electronics and pump (not 100% sure). My pump is leaking and I'm not sure which shaft seal to use. Below is additional info.

Model:Pump-Intelliflo Xf
Serial Number:0343340140016E
Date Purchased:1/13/2015
Current Motor # 0395241130069J - Dated 8/29/2013 - skew or Serial # 53007242

Can you advise regarding this scenario? Pump before Aug. 2015 and shaft after Aug. 2015.

Thanks,

-Kevin

The parts lists for before and after August 2015 both show the 17351-0101s, but the manual shows 37400-0038s. So, I don't know which is correct. Maybe they're equivalent?

The seal plate and impeller are the same. So, I would think that the seal would also be the same. The motor is different, but that shouldn't make any difference for the seal.

There should be a silver barcode label on the front of the pump with a manufacturing date. What is the date?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for doing this research on the Pentair website. I did the same only used Pool web website and it differs on the before Aug. 2015, showing the 37400-0028s . This what my original manual shows as well. See link,

Pentair IntellifloXF Variable Speed Pump - Replacement Parts - Before August 2015

I am now inclined to believe there was an eco on the seal for some reason maybe a slight change in tolerance or materials. I guess both will work. I know my pump is pre Aug, 2015, warranty confirmation is 1/2015.

I saw a cross reference to US Seal on www.allsealsinc.com

From: 17351- 0101S To: PS-1908, PS-201V,-CMS, PS-851, PS-201, VG-201

https://www.allsealsinc.com/usseals/Seal-Cross-Reference-2011.pdf

My local Groman dist. carries US seal replacements. They probably have the one. I'm guessing the PS-851, PS-201, VG-201 seals are a higher grade for some reason. I'm thinking anyone of these will work. Do you concur? Thanks

This explains the different quality of seals.

PS-201 is the cheapest with a plastic primary ring.
PS-851 is next with a carbon primary ring.
PS-201V-CMS is better with an "Ozone/Salt" rating.
PS-1908 is the best with silicon carbide.
VG-201 is the "Value Guard" series, which is a cheaper seal.

The reference doesn't show the Intelliflo XF pump, but the Sta-Rite Dyna Jet uses the 17351-0101s seal. So, that shows the cross reference.

I would use the PS-201V-CMS or PS-1908. In addition to better materials, they use an interlocking design that helps prevent twisting damage.

Get seal installation lube so that the seal seats correctly.

Last edited:
I went to my local Gorman Distributor and could only get the PS-201 and they still believe their Pentair to US Seal cross reference, saying it is directly from a Pentiar database. So they say the Pentair 17351-0101s seal crosses to a saltwater grade PS-3868 .

So I sent an email to Pentair. I saw your US Seal cross reference and still believe it is correct.

In any event I installed the PS-201 so far everything is working. Again thanks for the research and advise.

www.venicebeachvillas.com

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like the PS-3868 could be compatible.

Maybe order a the PS-201V-CMS or PS-1908 online so that you have it if the current seal leaks. Also, get seal lube to make sure that the seal sets correctly.

A seal can rotate over a billion times in the life of a pump. So, it's not surprising that the seal can wear out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.