Pentair Intelliflo VSP and Hayward OnCommand - Electrical Problem

JannieMae

Sep 12, 2013
I have a Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump (3hp) that got flooded with the rain. The screen on the pump showed these messages "Alarm - OverCurrent" and "Alarm - Power Out Failure" and then went completely blank. There is no voltage going to the pump and there is no voltage in the Hayward command panel for the output wires running to the pump. I have checked the breakers and they seem to be working. I am not sure what to check next. The wires not working are circled in purple. They are coming from the old timers (picture with breakers in the middle).

Attachments

• Alarm power failure.jpg
    Alarm power failure.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Hayward wires.jpg
    Hayward wires.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Timers and breaker.jpg
    Timers and breaker.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Alarm overcurrent.jpg
    Alarm overcurrent.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Hayward.jpg
    Hayward.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 13
Jan,

I assume that you Hayward onCommand can not control your IntelliFlo pump using the RS-485 com port. So that means that the OnCommand is just sending 240 Volts AC through the Pump/Filter relay which turns the pump on.

If you have no voltage when you test between the two purple circled wires, then the pump will never run.

If your OnCommand is like most automation systems, it has a schedule that tells the Pump/Filter relay to close. You say that your Oncommand has no power.. If it has no power, it can't run a schedule, or program, and can't close the pump/filter relay.

Step one would be to ensure that you have the proper AC voltage going into your OnCommand system.

How are you testing the AC voltage? Make sure when testing 240 Volt AC, that you test between the two power leads (L1 and L2). Do not test L1 to ground and then L2 to ground as this can give you a false reading.

I suspect that you have lost one of the two AC inputs, either L1 or L2 due to a bad breaker.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have an update. It turns out I do have power going from my Hayward Command Center to the Pentair pump. I have identified the problem is the pump itself. It is not coming on at all, nothing on the screen and no water flowing through the filter.

Jan,

What are you using to measure the input AC power to the pump?

Did you use a voltmeter to to measure between the L1 and L2 input to the pump?

No doubt that your pump may be bad, but better to be sure that spend $2K for nothing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hello Jim,
Thanks for the response. I am using a voltmeter and testing the L1 and ground, and L2 and ground at the pump and also at the command center, each one was about 127. I don't know if it's worth trying to fix the pump.

Jan,

You must test between L1 and L2!!!!! Do NOT test L1 to gnd and L2 to gnd as this can give you a false reading.

L1 to L2 should read 240 Volts. If it reads zero it means you have lost either L1 or L2

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jan,

Sorry to be a pain, but it was very important that the pump had 240 for sure. Your test proves that it does.

I was hoping for an easy fix where you had lost either L1 or L2 but that is not the case... :(

This obviously means the pump's electronics have gone bad.

Your options are to replace the Control head or the entire pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.