Pentair Intelliflo VSF failure less then a year old.

tunnelraton

Mar 6, 2024
Las Vegas
I have a pentair Intelliflo VSF that is 10 months old and failed. I noticed my pool wasnt running one day and went out to the equipment and noticed the pump did not have any power. I found the breaker tripped, reset it and pump fired up normally. My pool guy called me later in the week and found the same thing and reset it to working as well. We noticed it continued to pop the breaker and wasnt running. He was concerned the drive was bad. I looked up an error code it threw and found it was indicating under or over voltage and a bad breaker could be the problem. I replaced the breaker and started the pump and it ran normally for a few hours. It ran until the schedule shut it off for the night. The next morning it did not start when scheduled to start, i went out and found breaker tripped and could not get it to start running again. It either trips the breaker or just doesnt have any power at the drive/pump. The pump is getting adequate power from the panel. When you lightly tap on the top of the drive with your finger or screwdriver it attempts to power up, but just loses power completely. I bought the pump new, off an online website so Pentair will not warranty it. My pool is only 7 years old and this is the second pentair pump to fail on me. I paid out of pocket for this pump less then a year ago. I dont want to spend more money so this is my last ditch effort to try and trouble shoot this and am hoping someone on here can help or has experience with the same issue. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP.

Is the pump CB GFCI?

Is the CB a Pentair PA220GF or Siemans QF220AP? If not harmonics from the variable frequency drive pumps can cause false GFCI trips.

Read Electrical GFCI - Further Reading

I had a problem with periodic CB trips with my Intelliflo every 2-4 weeks. This was after a 1/1 swap for a single speed.

Did three things:

* Switched to the OEM Pentair circuit breaker. (Sticker shock applies.)
* Rewired so the Pump CB had only the VSP and SWCG on it. The manual says "If AC power is supplied by a GFCI circuit breaker, the pump should be wired on its own independent circuit unless the pump is operated in tandem with a Pentair salt chlorine generator."
* Cleaned up and tightened all power connections. (The tech who wired things apparently didn't apply enough torque; there had been other problems with arcing.)

Knock on wood, no problem since then, which was 2.5 years ago.

Reactions: Jimrahbe