Pentair IntelliFlo VS losing efficiency when running for a while?

Jun 18, 2017
Ashburn, VA
New(ish) to pool ownership (first full season). Have a quick question regarding my Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3HP pump.

I have some water features (4 magicstream laminars, 4 seat spa jets, and 3 bubblers). The pump is powerful enough to power two of them reasonably well at high speed. However lately I noticed (which I didn't notice at the end of last season) that if I leave them running for say, 8 hour or so during an afternoon/evening pool session, by the end of the day, the laminars are half the height they were at the beginning.

Is it possible for the pump to lose efficiency the longer it runs? I've checked (and cleaned) all the usual locations (skimmer, pump cleanout basket, and my PosiClean cartridge).

Anything I can check regarding this or is this "normal"? Also, the pump is in full afternoon sun so not sure if the direct sunlight on it causes it to work less efficiently...

cj,

The most likely cause is a dirty filter... If cleaning the filter gets it going again, then you have something in your water..

If it works in the morning and not in the afternoon and then works again the next morning without you doing anything then it would be something else..

Unfortunately, I have no clue as to what that would be, as this is not a normal problem for an Intelliflo pump and on the surface does not make sense to me.

Let's see what our other members have to say...

Thanks,

Jim R.

cj,

The most likely cause is a dirty filter... If cleaning the filter gets it going again, then you have something in your water..

If it works in the morning and not in the afternoon and then works again the next morning without you doing anything then it would be something else..

Unfortunately, I have no clue as to what that would be, as this is not a normal problem for an Intelliflo pump and on the surface does not make sense to me.

Let's see what our other members have to say...

Thanks,

Jim R.

You know, you were absolutely right.

I had cleaned the filter a couple weeks ago and figured it was fine at this point. But due to some imbalances (my fault), I had some algae growth and shocked and cleared it up last week.

I just checked it, cleaned it, and now the pump and pressure is running as I remember it!

Now I know that the filter requires cleaning pretty soon after an algae outbreak/cleaning. Good to know - this is a learning process for me. :)

Thanks for the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.