Pentair Intelliflo VS Fuse?

Georgia_Pool

Jun 15, 2019
Georgia
Do the subject pumps have a fuse? A friend of mine went to do initial startup and his pump will not power up at all. Display shows nothing, pump does nothing. Bypassed all intelligent controls and hard wired straight to power source just to eliminate other factors. Wiring and power feed has all been triple checked and also passed inspection. Thought it might be worth checking the fuse, if there is one, before declaring it DOA and calling the supplier for a replacement. Thanks!

Line to line is 240?

Not line to ground.

For a brand new pump not to power up at all, there's a better than 99% chance that it's a power supply problem.

Can you show a picture of the wiring and a multimeter doing the voltage test showing the voltage?

Last edited:
G,

As JamesW points out... Measuring L1 to ground and L2 to ground can give you a false reading of 240 volts... You must measure L1 to L2...

Edit.. there is no fuse..

Jim R.
Upon further inspection and additional voltage testing, it appears the indoor breaker that feeds the outdoor Pentair panel is bad. Getting 120v on one line, 40v on the second line, and 77v across the two. Back to Home Depot for a new breaker now. Will post again to confirm a new 60A breaker resolves the problem.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure you replace it with what was there as far as GFI is concerned
If it's the breaker in the main panel feeding the subpanel, it will be a regular breaker.

The individual breakers in the subpanel will be GFCI.

Edit - The breaker feeding the subpanel will usually be a regular breaker but it can be a GFCI.

Last edited:
A new breaker in the indoor main house panel did the trick!
JamesW - Footnote: On my pool, I actually did a GFCI breaker inside in my main panel to feed the outdoor panel, then put regular breakers in my outdoor Pentair panel. So, all the outdoor regular breakers are sitting behind a GFCI inside.

Reactions: JamesW
Good job on getting it fixed! :goodjob:

Putting the gfci in the main panel is not normally done, but I don't think that there is anything wrong with doing it that way.

I would generally recommend that the GFCIs be put in the subpanel for better overall performance and reliability.

Good job on getting it fixed! :goodjob:

Putting the gfci in the main panel is not normally done, but I don't think that there is anything wrong with doing it that way.

I would generally recommend that the GFCIs be put in the subpanel for better overall performance and reliability.
Yes, that’s typically what I see as well. I was having a hard time finding a couple of the GFCI’s I needed for outside, and cost was going to be significantly more with buying several GFCI’s for outside vice a single one inside. As always, thanks for your (and everyone else’s) replies!

Putting the GFCI in the main panel makes it difficult determining where the fault is when you get a GFCI trip.

Someone in the future will be mumbling under their breath about who did that as they look to fix a GFCI trip.

Reactions: Georgia_Pool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.