Pentair Intelliflo VS communication lost

simpy2000

May 14, 2023
Woodruff, SC
I have a 1 year old Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump and EasyTouch automation system. Periodically the pump seems to fault off and loses communication with the EasyTouch control panel. Then the panel and the Screen Logic app think the pump is on during its scheduled time, but it’s actually not.
Instead of the usual “Display not active” message on the pump screen, it will say “0 RPM”.
No power outage or brownout. No issues with the RS-485 communication cable, and the EasyTouch panel still has all of its settings, including the date & time.
The workaround is easy — I shut off the breaker that controls AC power to the pump, wait until the pump display goes blank, then turn the breaker back on. The pump reboots and everything works fine.
Could this be a temperature fault? It happened yesterday when the pump was at full speed in the afternoon and we reached 101F in the late afternoon. I can’t say for sure, but I believe this problem happens only or mostly when it’s hot out, which of course is our everyday summer weather here.
Is there a way to get the diagnostic codes from the pump’s menu? Also, is there a way to set up the EasyTouch panel so it knows when the pump is not responding to communications?
Mine has been doing this since last summer. Pool company replaced the pump driver (the display on top of pump). Didn't work. I called Pentair support and was told it was a bad pump motor. Replaced that under warranty. This was done at pool closing for the winter. Now I opened the pool and it is doing it again. basically cycles off every two minutes. Also, now the Ultra temp heat pump is shutting off saying Serial Comm Lost. It has to be a circuit board as it is highly unlikely that two cables have failed at almost the exact same time. BTW, I bypassed the controller for the pump by unplugging the control cable and run it continuously now since I have been waiting over a month on the pool company.

Doing some youtube education, I found it may be the surge board pentair #521218. If you follow the cables into the controller, the salt generator, water temp sensor, pump control cable, and heat pump control cable all plug into this circuit board. I plan to call Pentair support tomorrow to see if I am correct. I found the board online for $250. My pool company will charge me $175 for a service call which is credited to the repair.

Anyone else have this problem and corrected it in a similar manner?

I doubt the problem is your surge board.

Any malfunctioning device can load down the RS-485 comm line which is shared by all devices and make all the devices comm fail.

Disconnect all the devices from the comm connectors - pump, UltaTemp, SWG - and then connect them one at a time. See which devcies work individually and which do not.

Power down the EasyTouch before making any wiring changes.

Reactions: ogdento
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.