Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed not holding time?

ufg8rmike

Jul 16, 2019
Tarpon Springs
Time on the pump keeps resetting, salt cell keeps getting out of whack. Wired direct to breaker, not on another timer, and whole house surge suppressor. Pump is one year out of warranty. I am told it’s a capacitor and has rendered the pump pretty much useless. 3X the cost of my standard pump and lasted 1/4 the timeframe.

I don't think it's “the” capacitor, which helps start the pump, but a different capacitor whose job is to maintain charge for the clock. Most appliances with clocks have battery backup. Not the Intelliflo.

My Intelliflo was installed in 2013. For 5 years, before I installed automation, I controlled it with a mechanical on/off timer. It never lost time, despite being without power for 16 hours per day.

So despite sounding kind of sketchy, I don’t think it’s an intrinsic defect. Sorry to say, I think @ufg8rmike has a pump with a bad clock-charging capacitor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tena
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.