Pentair intelliflo dead-ish

Jan 18, 2016
Tucson, AZ
So yesterday I come out to the pool and I can't turn on the pump for the spa nor the one for the waterfall. (2 different pumps) Go to the control panel and each pump has a 240V GFCI breaker, both are tripped. I have some contractors working on the home, and thought maybe one of their tools is flaky and may have tripped these GFCI's even though they wouldn't have been on the same circuit obviously.
I flip the breakers and both pumps fire right up.
This morning the kids want to so swimming, so I turn on the waterfalls with screenlogic on the phone. Nothing. Again go to the easytouch and both breakers tripped. Flip them and the waterfall pump turns on, but the intelliflo will not. I can toggle the pool low/high and I hear a clicking at the pump but no spinny. I flip open the cover on the pump and am greeted by F90052 ALARM.

Researching the alarm is low voltage. So I pull the cover off the Intelliflo control panel at the pump itself and measure 240VAC. Not low, but pump wont turn on.

Cycle the breaker a couple times, still same behavior. I turned off the breaker and disconnected the 240 at the pump, and remove the electronics thinking maybe a start capacitor is inside I can try and replace. Dismantle the whole thing and realize all the caps and electronics are non serviceable.
Put it all back together, flip the breaker and the pump's errors are cleared and the pump fires right up.

Does anyone have any ideas on this at all?
The best part about it all is that I am leaving for vacation for 3 weeks on Friday. Great timing eh?

2b,

If the breaker trips it can cause the low volts alarm before the pump actually shuts down, so at this point I would not worry about the alarm.

Odd that two different pumps both trip their GFCI breakers at the same time... :scratch:

How old are the breakers? Are they on top of one another (touching)?

If this were my pool, I guess I would make sure all the connections to the breakers and to the load load center were tight.. If you had an intermittent loss of one phase of the 240 volts coming into the load center that might pop both pump's GFCI breakers.. I would also check the connections at the main house breaker that feeds the EasyTouch.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The whole system is just shy of 4 years old. Pump has been running great all day. Yes, the GFCI's are one on top of the other in the easytouch panel. Ive double checked connections at the breakers and cycled the ones in the house main panel as well. Fingers crossed.

If you have continued problems with this and can't get it figured out, you can call Springs and Sons Electric (‭(602) 242-3500‬). They do nothing but pool electrics and I have been very impressed with their knowledge and work. They are based out of Phoenix, but I know they take work way out of town because one day when I needed them they were tied up in Flagstaff. So I think they would come to Tucson.

One more thing to consider is the GFCI itself. I seem to recall that certain brands are more sensitive than others and the phase convertor in the VS pumps can fool them into tripping occasionally.

I have Square D breakers and every so often my pump breaker will trip for no apparent reason.

My pump and breaker are about 8 years old and this has happened to me about 4-5 times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.