Pentair Intelliconnect Relay CircuPool SWG Question

Gflande1

Jul 11, 2019
Syracuse, New York
I am in the process of upgrading our pool pad. I already had a Pentair IntelliFlo pool pump. To that I am adding a CircuPool Universal 55 and a Gulfstream heat pump.

I don't really have a need for automation, but I read that counting on the flow switch of the SWG to prevent the system from becoming a hydrogen bomb is dangerous. I have read about relays, but have only scratched the surface.

If I am understanding correctly, I could add a Intelliconnect to my system and power the CircuPool via one of the relays. Am I correct in understanding that when the pool pump is off, then the relay is disabled? Or is that only for Pentair branded SWG via the other connection?

Hope my question makes sense. I know there are other ways to handle this situation, but this seems the most straightforward off the shelf solution.

Thanks
Glen

What is the manufacture date of your Superflo VS pump?

Pentair changed the IntelliConnect firmware in late 2023 to make it compatible with SuperFlo VST, SuperMAX VS, and WhisperFlo VST pumps manufactured after 10/15/20.

Glen -

On the Pentair Home app for the Intelliconnect, there is an option in the relay settings to require the filtration pump to run when the relay is active. That should take care of the situation you're asking about.

If the Intelliconnect will work with your pump , I think a better option for the SWG would be to stay with Pentair equipment and get either an IC40 or IC60. You would be able to control the output for the SWG and the pool pump in one app, plus your light and something else.

If you really don't need automation, using a simple pool timer to turn the SWG on only when the pump is running works for lots of people too (or run the pump 24/7).

Which model pump do you have? Make sure that your pump is compatible with the Intelliconnect before you buy one. You need to be able to control the pump through the Intelliconnect for the relay protection to work.

Using an Intermatic pool timer or a wifi timer to turn the SWG on and off would be a less expensive alternative to the Intelliconnect, especially if the only thing it controls is the SWG on a relay.

Amazon.com

Reactions: wireform
What is the manufacture date of your Superflo VS pump?
02/26/2018
Which model pump do you have? Make sure that your pump is compatible with the Intelliconnect before you buy one. You need to be able to control the pump through the Intelliconnect for the relay protection to work.

Using an Intermatic pool timer or a wifi timer to turn the SWG on and off would be a less expensive alternative to the Intelliconnect, especially if the only thing it controls is the SWG on a relay.

Amazon.com
Superflow VS 312001

Thank you for your responses. From your questions I was able to research and confirm that the Intelliconnect wont work with my pump. Maybe when I upgrade the pump, I can see what automation is available then.

For now, I will plan on running the pump 24/7 and adding a timer to the SWG. Anyone know if its possible to add an additional flow switch? In my head it seems like if you wire them together, you would be able to.

Thanks
Glen

Anyone know if its possible to add an additional flow switch? In my head it seems like if you wire them together, you would be able to.

Add an additional flow switch to what?

Wire what together?

What would an additional flow switch do? One is enough to ensure that the SWG won't come on if no water flows through it.

A better way to protect your system would be to wire the pump and SWG onto the same timer, with the pump on the Line side and the SWG on the Load side. That way the pump has constant power, the SWG goes on and off with the timer, AND the SWG can't come on if the pump has no power going to it.

I was thinking that if the concern is a faulty flow switch, you could have two, so if one fails, you’d have the other as a backup.

So if one stays closed (faulty), but the other is open, the circuit would stay open.

You would wire the switches in series.

Last edited:
I think running the pump 24/7 as slowly as you can is a better idea to make sure there is always flow to the SWG. I can't find any threads here where anyone has ever tried to do 2 flow switches for 1 SWG.

Keep things simple and you'll be ok.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support