Pentair Intellichlor IC40 is not working - what are my options?

fabsroman

Apr 10, 2020
Winfield, Maryland
We have been in the house for 18 months now and this will be our second season with the pool. The IC40 was working just fine up until yesterday. Had 7.0 fc yesterday. Yesterday, the "Cell" light was flashing, which translates to "Inspect Cell". I found some debris on the cell fins on the inlet side and I cleaned it out with water spray from a hose. I put the IC40 back in, got a solid green "Cell" light, and thought everything was good. This morning, the "Cell" light was flashing once again. I took the cell out, looked at it, there was no debris, and so I figured it might need an acid wash. Did a 15 minute acid wash, put it back in, got a green "Cell" light and thought I was good to go. This afternoon, the "Cell" light is flashing again. Definitely nothing in or around the fins. When I hold down the "More" button, it shows 60% usage, so 6,000 hours on this chlorine generator. Since we just bought the house 18 months ago, I have absolutely no idea how old this cell is. Think it is time to replace it. However, finding one of these things online is almost impossible. I cannot find a Pentair Intellichlor IC40 no matter how hard I try. Last summer, they were readily available. Any suggestions?

Is there a different chlorine generator that I can use with my Pentair EasyTouch. I looked at the iChlor briefly and it too appears to be unobtainium and I am not sure it would swap right into the current plumbing I have in place for the IC40. However, if it will work with my EasyTouch, I can deal with the plumbing if need be.

Does Pentair still make the Intellichlor?

I can get an IC60 for $959. Would this be a drop in replacement for the IC40, but with a longer useful life since I would need it to generate chlorine a lot less often than the IC40. The IC60 produces 2.0 pounds per day versus 1.4 pounds with the IC40? Since the useful life is supposed to be around 10,000 hours, I am assuming I would get several more years out of the IC60 versus the IC40.

For your size pool an IC60 would be a good fit. And it will seamlessly replace your IC40. Only the Pentair Intellichlor will work with your ET system.

That price is pretty good for an IC60. My go to place is showing $999 for IC40's. And they are out of stock.

There is a label on the underside of the IC cell. Get the data and post here. It will tell you how old the cell is.

There is a label on the underside of the IC cell. Get the data and post here. It will tell you how old the cell is.
Looked at the label and the manufacture date is 5/31/2011. Guess I should be ecstatic that it actually made it through last season. How it only has 6,000 hours on it is beyond me. Time to buy a new chlorine generator and it looks like I am going with the IC60 since I cannot find the IC40 anywhere online or at a pool store by me.

Thanks very much for your help with this.

Reactions: mknauss
I can get an IC60 for $959. Would this be a drop in replacement for the IC40, but with a longer useful life since I would need it to generate chlorine a lot less often than the IC40. The IC60 produces 2.0 pounds per day versus 1.4 pounds with the IC40? Since the useful life is supposed to be around 10,000 hours, I am assuming I would get several more years out of the IC60 versus the IC40.
Where are you ordering the IC60 from for that price?

I’d love to know where u found the IC60?! Our IC40 has gone out at our vacation rental & Neither I nor my pool store can find a replacement available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.