frank1823

Apr 20, 2022
Baton Rouge Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I apologize in advance as I imagine this has been asked and answered a thousand times but I could not find an answer after searching the threads.
My setup - 18k saltwater fiberglass pool with Pentair Intellitouch/Screenlogic automation and of course the IC40 salt cell. So recently during my frequent pool chemical tests I noticed that my chlorine levels were steadily going lower and lower. At first I thought perhaps an anomaly due to weather factors or some other issue. I bumped up my chlorine production on the intellichlor to help. Then they dropped to the almost no chlorine level and I realized something must be wrong. I looked at the salt cell and the green flashing inspect cell light was on. First thought was the cell needed cleaning but I just checked it about 2 months ago when I installed new filters in my Pentair CCP filter and it looked good then. Nonetheless I did a cleaning anyway. Very little if any bubbles coming out as expected. Aborted that procedure after less than ten minutes so as not to affect the cell needlessly. I thought perhaps the cell is upset because the chlorine is so low. So first I decided to go old school and just adjust chemicals the way I used to before I could afford the fancy automation. After a couple of days everything was perfect except for the cell not making chlorine of course. Still blinking. I tried shutting down the system at the breaker and restarting. For a while I thought that fixed it. Light stopped blinking and everything seemed normal. When I checked it the next day its back to blinking. Checking the life of the cell showed 20% used before the cleaning. 40% after (ouch! killed it 20% with an unneeded cleaning) The one thing I couldnt check for was phosphates as my chemical kit does not test for that. I have one coming in the mail tomorrow, but I added a couple of bottles of Clorox ClearPhos phosphate remover and after 24hrs still nothing.
Is there a reset that is needed? I've read the manual front to back and cannot find a reset procedure for the IC40. Ive searched here and on the web generally and nothing helpful thus far.

If someone can share some ideas I'd be eternally thankful!
One more thing I should mention - my entire system is going on 3 years old. Currently its probably 2.5 years old. Contractor installed all the equipment and its all Pentair. I was told previously that all the Pentair equipment gets an extended warranty to 3 years because its all Pentair and all professionally installed but I don't know if that extends to the salt cell.
Anyhoo - thanks for any help!

Frank,

If the cell light is flashing green and the cell is clean, then the cell is dead... :(

Sometimes you get the cell light to quit flashing for a day or two, but it will always go back to flashing.

Phosphates do not matter, and have nothing to do with your failure.

I am assuming that your salt level is within operating range.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Frank,

If the cell light is flashing green and the cell is clean, then the cell is dead... :(

Sometimes you get the cell light to quit flashing for a day or two, but it will always go back to flashing.

Phosphates do not matter, and have nothing to do with your failure.

I am assuming that your salt level is within operating range.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes, the salt level is fine, maybe a little high but all chemicals are within specs. I suppose the cell could have died prematurely. It is literally a little over 2 years old and only 40% used.

Frank,

The reason I say when the cell light is flashing, the cell is dead, is based upon what I have seen here at TFP, plus my own personal experience. I have three saltwater pools and over time all three salt cells had to be replaced. All three of them did the exact same thing. The cell light would intermittently flash for a week or so that then the problem would not go away for more than a few hours. All three cells were replaced and have been running fine since then. In my case one cell was about 9 years old, one was about 8 years old and the other was about 7 years old. Most cells least 5 to 7 years.. So I am not complaining.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Frank,

The reason I say when the cell light is flashing, the cell is dead, is based upon what I have seen here at TFP, plus my own personal experience. I have three saltwater pools and over time all three salt cells had to be replaced. All three of them did the exact same thing. The cell light would intermittently flash for a week or so that then the problem would not go away for more than a few hours. All three cells were replaced and have been running fine since then. In my case one cell was about 9 years old, one was about 8 years old and the other was about 7 years old. Most cells least 5 to 7 years.. So I am not complaining.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the reply Jim. I did reach out to Pentair via their online form but haven't heard back yet. I am sure calling them will probably be faster but they are closed by the time I leave the office. Checked my paperwork and the "in service date" actually puts the age of the cell at a year and a half so yes, it would have to be a premature death for sure if that's the case.

What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?

What is the salinity reported by EasyTouch?
The salinity I measure once a week, usually Wednesdays via a Poolmaster 5 way kit and of course what my Screenlogic app reports. The last time I measured with the kit it was in the 3800 range. That was last week and yes, its a little high but with the cell not working I thought it was perhaps not reading correctly and maybe low on salt so I kept adding salt before realizing that the cell was not working. Currently Screenlogic reports 3450 ppm. All chemicals are relatively in check.

On the plus side anyone wondering like I was if the salt cell is under warranty - it most certainly is. Spent almost an hour and a half on hold with Pentair trying to speak to someone to confirm that someone did receive my emailed support request. They did but apparently if you do not call them they will sit on it. This same thing happened when I requested help with my LED pool lights. Calling is always best. They confirmed that all my equipment is covered as part of a bundle 3 year warranty package since it was all Pentair and all installed at the same time by my contractor. They emailed confirmation of the case being opened and are simply awaiting my response with my cell serial number to schedule a tech to come out. So very happy with things thus far except the whole waiting on hold two forevers but hey, at least they are backing the equipment and warranty.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.