Pentair Intellicenter

clesshawn

Jul 8, 2019
Douglasville, Ga
I'll be having a pool electrician installing the Intellicenter, but I'll be purchasing the product myself from a website.
Can the intellicenter be installed outside where all the pool equipment is located? It's located behind the pool, but there will be an enclosure around the pool equip.
Just to confirm, does the Intellicenter have wifi capability? The intellicenter needs to connect to the Wifi router in my home which is also near the pool, so I hope the intellinet has a built in wireless antenna than can scan for wifi networks in close proximity, and will have a strong signal to keep the signal connected once it connects to my home wifi network.
How many relays does the intellicenter come with? I would like to use the app to control 1. Pool lights 2. Pool temp. 3. Spa temp. 4. Spa control.5. Sheet descents 6. Tanning ledge bubbler. 7. Pool pump/filter

I listed 7 items of control, so does this mean I need 7 relays?

Any feedback you give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Clesshawn

clesshawn
Hi and also welcome to TFP.
Congrats for selecting the IntelliCenter for your pool automation requirements.
I'll try to answer a few of your initial questions below but I highly recommend that you scan the following thread in order to learn a bit more about IntelliCenter, it's terminologies, capabilities and limitations. Once you scan through all of the information, please feel free to ping me or PM me (if you prefer) and I will try to answer any of your questions. If it's something that I do not have a ready answer for you, I will try my best to find out. Here is the link to the thread: Pentair IntelliCenter Review - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I'll be having a pool electrician installing the Intellicenter, but I'll be purchasing the product myself from a website.
Please take a look at PolyTec Pools before you buy just to make sure you are getting the best price. PolyTec prices are extremely competitive and no shipping or taxes.

Can the intellicenter be installed outside where all the pool equipment is located? It's located behind the pool, but there will be an enclosure around the pool equip.
Yes, your IntelliCenter Load/or Power Center should be co-located at your equipment pad. There will be several control cables that run from your pool equipment, temp sensors etc that connect to the IntelliCenter. In addition, the circuit breakers must be readily accessible from the equipment pad area as defined in many municipalities. Check with your electrician on this but yes, mount your IntelliCenter at the pad.

Just to confirm, does the Intellicenter have wifi capability? The intellicenter needs to connect to the Wifi router in my home which is also near the pool, so I hope the intellinet has a built in wireless antenna than can scan for wifi networks in close proximity, and will have a strong signal to keep the signal connected once it connects to my home wifi network.
The IntelliCenter DOES have WiFi capability. It does have a wireless antenna and the transmit power is adjustable from 12 to 23dBm.

How many relays does the intellicenter come with? I would like to use the app to control 1. Pool lights 2. Pool temp. 3. Spa temp. 4. Spa control.5. Sheet descents 6. Tanning ledge bubbler. 7. Pool pump/filter
I listed 7 items of control, so does this mean I need 7 relays?
You will require enough relays to control the following.
1. Pumps
2. Lights or Light Transformers (you will need one relay for each light or transformer ONLY if you want individual control). Otherwise you can put multiple lights/light transformers on a single relay (to a point determined by amperage). But if you double up, then you do not have individual control to include colors etc if applicable.
3. Heat pumps or other types of heaters that require line voltage (110vAC or 220vAC).

The temperature probe and any valve actuators that control things like water features, spa use etc, do not require relays.

I hope this bit of basic initial information has been useful to you. Please contact me if I can answer any other questions for you regarding the IntelliCenter.
Please take care...
r.

clesshawn
Hi and also welcome to TFP.
Congrats for selecting the IntelliCenter for your pool automation requirements.
I'll try to answer a few of your initial questions below but I highly recommend that you scan the following thread in order to learn a bit more about IntelliCenter, it's terminologies, capabilities and limitations. Once you scan through all of the information, please feel free to ping me or PM me (if you prefer) and I will try to answer any of your questions. If it's something that I do not have a ready answer for you, I will try my best to find out. Here is the link to the thread: Pentair IntelliCenter Review - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Please take a look at PolyTec Pools before you buy just to make sure you are getting the best price. PolyTec prices are extremely competitive and no shipping or taxes.

Yes, your IntelliCenter Load/or Power Center should be co-located at your equipment pad. There will be several control cables that run from your pool equipment, temp sensors etc that connect to the IntelliCenter. In addition, the circuit breakers must be readily accessible from the equipment pad area as defined in many municipalities. Check with your electrician on this but yes, mount your IntelliCenter at the pad.

The IntelliCenter DOES have WiFi capability. It does have a wireless antenna and the transmit power is adjustable from 12 to 23dBm.

You will require enough relays to control the following.
1. Pumps
2. Lights or Light Transformers (you will need one relay for each light or transformer ONLY if you want individual control). Otherwise you can put multiple lights/light transformers on a single relay (to a point determined by amperage). But if you double up, then you do not have individual control to include colors etc if applicable.
3. Heat pumps or other types of heaters that require line voltage (110vAC or 220vAC).

The temperature probe and any valve actuators that control things like water features, spa use etc, do not require relays.

I hope this bit of basic initial information has been useful to you. Please contact me if I can answer any other questions for you regarding the IntelliCenter.
Please take care...
r.
Thank you so much for your response I do have a couple of more questions.

This is probably an obvious answer to the question type situation, but I'm getting a salt water pool, so I'm sure I have to get the Intellicenter panel that has
IntelliChlor Transformer?
Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 Cell Kit?

Based on your earlier reply, it appears I need 5 relays because I'll have a pump for pool and pump for spa, spa heater, spa light and pool light, so am I correct in that assumption?

Also, it appears I need 2 actuators because I'll have 2 sheer descents, and a bubbler on the tanning ledge. Am I correct in that?

Will I be able to control all of those functions mentioned above with a phone app once the intellinet is connected to my wifi network?

Clesshawn

Thank you so much for your response I do have a couple of more questions.

This is probably an obvious answer to the question type situation, but I'm getting a salt water pool, so I'm sure I have to get the Intellicenter panel that has

Based on your earlier reply, it appears I need 5 relays because I'll have a pump for pool and pump for spa, spa heater, spa light and pool light, so am I correct in that assumption?

Also, it appears I need 2 actuators because I'll have 2 sheer descents, and a bubbler on the tanning ledge. Am I correct in that?

Will I be able to control all of those functions mentioned above with a phone app once the intellinet is connected to my wifi network?

Clesshawn

I forgot to add 1 more actuator for the spa temp control?

Hi clesshawn
The model of IntelliChlor that you should select, will mostly depend on the size (gallons) of your pool and to some extent, the geographical area in which you live. I don't see in this thread, where you indicate how many gallons your pool will be.

Mostly, the accepted rule of thumb is to take the size of your pool and double that to select the model of IntelliChlor that you will need. i.e. 20k gallons = IC40, 30k gallons = IC60.

However, in some cases, it is recommend to go even higher. For instance if you live in an area that is very hot and sunny. I have 21k gallons. Since I live in Arizona, I'm using an IC-60 and in mid summer, I only need to run my IntelliChlor at 30%. That means that my IntelliChlor will have a longer life span than someone else who lives in my same type of climate with the same size pool and has an IC-40 for instance, and who has to run their cell at approximately 60% to generate the same amount of chlorine. The salt cells have a finite life. The harder you run them (% of salt generation), the shorter their life span.
You can buy bundled systems from PolyTec Pools with either IC-40's or IC-60's.

Please note that in most common installations, a gas heater will NOT require a relay. If you are planning on utilizing a higher-end type heater such as an UltraTemp Heat Pump etc, then you would require a relay for that type of heater. If that is the case, I would think about jumping up to a i8PS, so that you have a couple of spare relays for future expansion (i.e. landscape lighting, gazebo lights etc. etc.)
But based on the information that you have provided above and with a standard gas heater, yes 5 relays (2 pumps, 2 lights 1 spare). You should be looking at an IntelliCenter bundled personality kit i5PS with either the IC40 or IC60:
i5PSIC40 model #521906.
i5PSIC60 model #521906-IC60.

Both bundled kits come with the applicable IntelliChlor and IntelliChlor transformer installed in the load center, WiFi kit, 2 IntelliValve actuators and water & air temp sensors/w installation hardware.

Call PolyTec Pools, give them all available information about your particular build and they will walk you through it and confirm the above.

You will need more than two actuators based on this information. You will need one for the pool/spa intake valve and one for the pool/spa return valve. Then additional intellivalve actuators for the water features depending on how they are plumbed. Send me a proposed plumbing diagram on this thread or on PM and I can assist you further.

I don't know anything about "intellinet" but I think you mean to say "IntelliCenter". If so, the short answer is yes. I can control mostly all of my everyday pool functions from my mobile phone IntelliCenter app, my Amazon Alexa, my desktop computer (IntelliCenter Web-Client) and of course from the control panel in the load center. Yes, you can do all that, once your IntelliCenter is connected wirelessly to your WiFi router or a Wireless Access Point (WAP).

Hope this helps you out a bit and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask me or you can PM me with questions if you prefer.
Take care....
r.

Last edited:
I forgot to add 1 more actuator for the spa temp control?
No valve actuators (IntelliValve) are needed for the spa temp control. Spa temp control is provided through the J2 2-wire connector on the IntelliCenter mother card which gets wired to a standard gas heater. This is applicable to most installations but varies if you might be planning on using a higher end heater such as an UltraTemp Heat Pump etc.

Here is an idea to help you understand a little better, how the IntelliCenter operates, integrates with your other pool equipment and it's various terminologies, functions etc.
Become familiar with the information contained in the IntelliCenter documentation that is provided on the Pentair IntelliCenter Resource Center Web Portal. There you will find a treasure trove of information that you will certainly need to know as an IntelliCenter user and especially if you want to squeeze every bit of capability/functionality out of your IntelliCenter Automation System.

CAUTION: Those documents are written in "Pentairgalese". :p Pentair technical documents are not always easy to understand, are conflicting at times and sometimes cause more questions than they answer. Most here on TFP understand this fact and understand that it's just "one of those things". Read them, take away what you can from them and then as questions arise, you can get clarification here.

Take care and "good reading" :mrgreen:,
Cat GIF
r.

Last edited:
Being that I'm getting a saltwater pool, I'm certain the pool builder is installing a saltwater chlorinator, so I shouldn't have to purchase the intellicenter model that comes with that part or the cell kit. I should just be purchasing the i8PS model or i5PS model without the saltwater parts, correct?

Being that I'm getting a saltwater pool, I'm certain the pool builder is installing a saltwater chlorinator, so I shouldn't have to purchase the intellicenter model that comes with that part or the cell kit. I should just be purchasing the i8PS model or i5PS model without the saltwater parts, correct?
clesshawn
There are a couple of options as I see it.
1. You can ask the builder to remove the SWCG from the contract and credit you the price, since I assume that you are buying the IntelliCenter yourself on the side (not part of the build contract). This would certainly be the preferred option, that way you can purchase the "bundled" i5 or i8, but I am not privy to all of the details so I cannot say for sure. Bundled systems are usually preferred because when you start purchasing parts and pieces a la carte, it may end up costing you more in many instances.

2. If you prefer to have the builder supply the SWCG, is he also supplying the transformer that it requires to operate? If so, then that would require you to remove the transformer from the supplied separate transfomer housing and then you would have to install it (the transformer itself) in the IntelliCenter Load Center. If you don't posses the necessary skill sets to do that type of work, then this would not be a recommended option but if the builder would do that, then that is not so bad.

If you care to post additional details, then I can better assist you in your selection, but I think the above information should help.
r.

Last edited:
I'm having a professional bonded electrician install the Intellicenter where the pool equipment is located, so I can advise him to install the transformer in the Intellicenter load center. The saltwater system is installed already where the pool equipment is, and my pool is about 1 week away from completion and turn up, and the builder has been already been paid about 80 percent of the pool price, so I really don't want to have the builder remove things and adjust prices, because that's a headache in of itself with this particular builder. I just want to get the Intellicenter model without the saltwater parts, but still want to make sure everything will work. With that said, I think the i8 with an extra actuator will give me the flexibility I'm looking for. As long as the electrician is knowledgeable about removing that transformer and installing it where the intellicenter is, I should be good, correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
clesshawn
I'm having a professional bonded electrician install the Intellicenter where the pool equipment is located, so I can advise him to install the transformer in the Intellicenter load center. The saltwater system is installed already where the pool equipment is, and my pool is about 1 week away from completion and turn up, and the builder has been already been paid about 80 percent of the pool price, so I really don't want to have the builder remove things and adjust prices, because that's a headache in of itself with this particular builder. I just want to get the Intellicenter model without the saltwater parts, but still want to make sure everything will work.
Right. Recommend that you give PolyTec Pools a call and tell them that you think you need to order the Pentair IntelliCenter i8PS Kit (no salt). They will walk you through it. When you talk with them, ask them if that model will come with the IntelliChlor SCG Circuit Board (I'm guessing, probably not). If not, your electrician will need to remove not only the SCG transformer from the IntelliChlor power center but also the SCG Circuit Board and install both within the IntelliCenter Load Center. Your electrician should have the skill sets necessary to accomplish this. He will need to refer to the IntelliCenter Control System Installation Guide, to understand just how those two components are mounted within the load center and how they are properly wired.

With that said, I think the i8 with an extra actuator will give me the flexibility I'm looking for. As long as the electrician is knowledgeable about removing that transformer and installing it where the intellicenter is, I should be good, correct?
Actually the i8PS kit comes with two "actuators" (IntelliValve). I think what you meant to say was "with an extra relay". There is a big difference between an actuator and a relay and what they do. An actuator mounts on top of a Jandy (or similar) 2-way or 3-way valve and moves the valve diverter inside the valve housing to a position determined by the user. A relay turns a 110vAC or 220vAC device on or off. The i8 in the model number indicates eight (8) relays.

Hope this info helps you.
r.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for everything! I did mean to say actuator..because I want an extra one in case of additional pool functionality(bubbler, sheer decents) going back to what you mentioned in an earlier message. I also want extra relays because I plan on landscape lighting in the near future. I certainly will make sure the electrician is well qualified to perform the work. I will certainly use this site as a resource for information going forward, and I'm more than happy to contribute to the website financially to keep it operational. Thank you!

Reactions: MyAZPool
Excellent. Yes, please keep us informed (photos are always helpful and appreciated), so we can see how things are shaping up for you. And please feel to ping me if there is anything else that I can help you with.
Please take care.
r.

MyAZ is a wealth of knowledge, especially relating to the Intellicenter. I would suggest you get prices for the Intellicenter both with and w/o the swg transformer. Compare the two and consider the additional labor along with potential complications before making your decision.

Excellent. Yes, please keep us informed (photos are always helpful and appreciated), so we can see how things are shaping up for you. And please feel to ping me if there is anything else that I can help you with.
Please take care.
r.
I was thinking about something. Being that my pool equipment is already installed, can I just order the Intellicenter with the SWG and just use that one to chlorinate the pool and bypass the SWG that the pool builder installed? It's like me having 2, but I'll be only using one?

I was thinking about something. Being that my pool equipment is already installed, can I just order the Intellicenter with the SWG and just use that one to chlorinate the pool and bypass the SWG that the pool builder installed? It's like me having 2, but I'll be only using one?
clesshawn
I think that is a much better idea. However, why don't you just continue to use the SWG that is already plumbed, if it is an IntelliChlor and just wire that to the automation?
Another option is this: When you call PolyTec Pools, ask them if you can order the i8PS Salt but with no IntelliChlor unit. They may do it. The Load Center would have the two SWG components installed (SCG transformer and SCG Circuit Board), but no IntelliChlor unit.
Just a couple of other possible options for you to consider.
Take care.
r.

MyAZ is a wealth of knowledge, especially relating to the Intellicenter. I would suggest you get prices for the Intellicenter both with and w/o the swg transformer. Compare the two and consider the additional labor along with potential complications before making your decision.
SPenfold
Hey stop that. :p You're gonna cause that "bar" for me to raise and I won't be able to jump over it. :p
But, thank you very much sir.... Anything I can do to help, just ask.
All the best...
r.

clesshawn
I think that is a much better idea. However, why don't you just continue to use the SWG that is already plumbed, if it is an IntelliChlor and just wire that to the automation?
Another option is this: When you call PolyTec Pools, ask them if you can order the i8PS Salt but with no IntelliChlor unit. They may do it. The Load Center would have the two SWG components installed (SCG transformer and SCG Circuit Board), but no IntelliChlor unit.
Just a couple of other possible options for you to consider.
Take care.
r.
If the electrician uses the existing SWG and wire it to the intellicenter automation, wouldn't he still have to remove not only the SCG transformer from the IntelliChlor power center but also the SCG Circuit Board and install both within the IntelliCenter Load Center as you said earlier? Wouldn't that be more work? I guess I want to take the easiest path.

[ QUOTE="clesshawn, post: 1673664, member: 214885"]
If the electrician uses the existing SWG and wire it to the intellicenter automation, wouldn't he still have to remove not only the SCG transformer from the IntelliChlor power center but also the SCG Circuit Board and install both within the IntelliCenter Load Center as you said earlier? Wouldn't that be more work? I guess I want to take the easiest path.
[/QUOTE]
To do it right, Yes. That's why I suggest you price both setups before making your decision.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.