Pentair IntelliCenter Pool Control Dashboard Instructional Guide

Keeping an eye out for filter pressure add-on. Do you have a specific digital gauge you’re looking at?
Candurin
I'm planning on using the pressure transducer listed below but ONLY because it is "plug & play" with the White Labs Tentacle T3 Carrier Board and plays nice with the Atlas Scientific EZO eco-system which I plan to go with. Because of this, it will not require a stand-alone analog to digital converter (ADC). Although I will still need one for some other sensors (MA tank sensor and water meter input).
EZO-PR Embedded Pressure Sensor

I would ask some of the others here like @Katodude , @cmc0619 or @mcqwerty, and what they might recommend to you as well as what ADC they would recommend.
r.

Last edited:
Keeping an eye out for filter pressure add-on. Do you have a specific digital gauge you’re looking at?
30 PSI Pressure Transducer, Pressure Sender Pressure Transmitter Sensor for Oil Fuel Gas Air Water, 1/8"NPT Thread Stainless Steel Pressure Transducer Pressure Sender: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific is an example. Anyone like these will work. Just make sure they output a voltage (eg 0-5V is most common) vs the current output type (4-20mA).

Also, I noticed you're in South Jersey if you're anywhere near Cherry Hill and need an ADC hat for an rpi I can let go of one of mine cheap. I've got to start cleaning out my basement!

Reactions: MyAZPool
30 PSI Pressure Transducer, Pressure Sender Pressure Transmitter Sensor for Oil Fuel Gas Air Water, 1/8"NPT Thread Stainless Steel Pressure Transducer Pressure Sender: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific is an example. Anyone like these will work. Just make sure they output a voltage (eg 0-5V is most common) vs the current output type (4-20mA).

Also, I noticed you're in South Jersey if you're anywhere near Cherry Hill and need an ADC hat for an rpi I can let go of one of mine cheap. I've got to start cleaning out my basement!

Not too far at all. We’re down near AC. Sadly, we used to live in Marlton and I definitely miss that area!

I may take you up on that. I do have a box of PLC components, mass flow meters, etc.from my last job. Admittedly, I’m not an engineer, but I had 6 or so working in my division at my previous employer.

I am of the understanding from information gained from other sources (it was mentioned in the guide) that as long as you have a ScreenLogic protocol adapter (wired or wireless to your OCP), that it will allow for the correct RS485 connection to the IntelliTouch RS485 bus.
Calling @tagyoureit or @rstrouse for assistance.

Yes, it works great to hook up RS485 on the wireless SL adapter.

> As for Docker support, the link to the njspc issue @MyAZPool provided is the latest I had heard. I have not tired this yet but I believe the changes were merged into the latest (6.1.0) release of njspc.

I haven't tried it either, but have included the docker/kubernetes/swarm in the latest release 6.1.0 like noted.

Keeping an eye out for filter pressure add-on.
I us this guy. Requires an ADS but it's been solid. My pressure can spike above 30 so wanted something with a little more headroom.
100PSI 5v pressure transducer

What would be the proper CLI to update a previous installation of;
nodejs-poolController
nodejs-poolController-dashPanel
nodejs-poolController-webClient

When the source is updated ??

What would be the proper CLI to update a previous installation of;
nodejs-poolController
nodejs-poolController-dashPanel
nodejs-poolController-webClient

When the source is updated ??
1. Navigate to each one of those directories (cd)
2. Perform a "git pull" in each directory.
3. Perform a "reboot" of your Raspberry Pi.
4. That's it...

2020-10-02_12-35-43.jpg

2020-10-02_12-42-07.jpg

2020-10-02_12-43-36.jpg

r.

That is working, thanks

To switch from "Master" to "Next" in poolController branches, this appears to work;

$ git branch
# list branches with a * showing current branch, shows *master & next
$ git checkout next
# Now changed to next branch

Last edited:
That is working, thanks

To switch from "Master" to "Next" in poolController branches, this appears to work;

$ git branch
# list branches with a * showing current branch, shows *master & next
$ git checkout next
# Now changed to next branch
Absolutely.. Just learned that myself as far as using the "next" branch.
It should be noted that most users will want to stay on the "next" branch in order to stay current on the latest improvements in nodejs-poolController.
Thanks much for the input. (y)

Last edited:
nodejs-poolController-dashPanel UPDATE:
Users can upload their own images (backgrounds) now and use them in combination with one of five available themes.

2020-10-08_18-26-36.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our pool can’t get here fast enough! 4 weeks from yesterday is install date. This next level automation will be amazing.

I created seven scripts; six for updating, and reverting the programs. And another one for deleting the configurations for the poolController;
Save each to a text file with a .sh extension, right click to property and select executable =anyone on permissions tab.
To run on desktop, double click and select "run in terminal".

TITLE Update_poolController.sh
CODE
cd ~pi/nodejs-poolController
git pull
read -p "REBOOT AFTER CHANGES, Press enter to exit" nothing
CODE

TITLE
Update_dashPanel.sh
CODE
cd ~pi/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel
git pull
CODE

TITLE
Update_webClient.sh
CODE
cd ~pi/nodejs-poolController-webClient
git pull
CODE

TITLE
Revert_poolController.sh
CODE
cd ~pi/nodejs-poolController
#git reflog
# It's an ordered list of the commits, an undo history for your repo
git reset --hard HEAD^
# resets the current branch one commit backward, same as "git reset --hard HEAD@{1}"
#git reset --hard HEAD@{2}
# resets the current branch two commits backward
CODE

TITLE
Revert_dashPanel.sh
CODE
cd ~pi/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel
#git reflog
git reset --hard HEAD^
# resets the current branch one commit backward, same as "git reset --hard HEAD@{1}"
CODE

TITLE
Revert_webClient.sh
CODE
cd ~pi/nodejs-poolController-webClient
#git reflog
git reset --hard HEAD^
CODE

TITLE
Delete_Config.sh
CODE
cd ~pi/nodejs-poolController/data
rm *.json
read -p "Configuration Deleted, PLEASE REBOOT, Press enter to exit" nothing
CODE

Being able to zero out the configuration and let poolController download the configuration again was something which I needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmc0619
OK. Giving this more thought as our install is a mere 3 weeks away.

Do I need to be concerned with surges hitting the IC equipment and tracing back to the networking equipment inside our house? I thought I read that that was the big "negative" for hardwiring the networking connection. I'm fine with hardwiring, but, I also get 100% wifi signal where the equipment will go, thanks to the new AP I installed in our garage (which, coincidentally would be where I hardwire the IC to, if I go that route).

I assume if electrical surges (lightning and whatnot) is a concern, that would also be the situation for the RS485 to Cat5 connection I want to run for the USB to serial hardwire, no?

I can't imagine this is a significant concern, just looking for someone more knowledge to alleviate my fears. Thanks!

OK. Giving this more thought as our install is a mere 3 weeks away.

Do I need to be concerned with surges hitting the IC equipment and tracing back to the networking equipment inside our house? I thought I read that that was the big "negative" for hardwiring the networking connection. I'm fine with hardwiring, but, I also get 100% wifi signal where the equipment will go, thanks to the new AP I installed in our garage (which, coincidentally would be where I hardwire the IC to, if I go that route).

I assume if electrical surges (lightning and whatnot) is a concern that would also be the situation for the RS485 to Cat5 connection I want to run for the USB to serial hardwire, no?

I can't imagine this is a significant concern, just looking for someone more knowledge to alleviate my fears. Thanks!
It is a concern and I can't necessarily alleviate your fears ;), but all three of my CAT5E cables running between by house and my automation (Ethernet and Serial over Ether), all utilize these surge protectors just in case. Who knows if they will work but if they do, they're pretty cheap insurance.

r.

Last edited:
It is a concern and I can't necessarily alleviate your fears ;), but all three of my CAT5E cables running between by house and my automation (Ethernet and Serial over Ether), all utilize these surge protectors just in case. Who knows if they will work but if they do, they're pretty cheap insurance.

r.

Completely forgot about those! That works for me! I’m just going to see if they make a “hub” and I’ll bring three cables from garage to IC.

Just need to figure where to ground to.

You’ve convinced me to run a spare! Did you run spare cat5e for future serial connections or Cat6a for networking? Naturally Cat5e would be fine for either, I just like to keep all my true networking cables one standard level higher :)

One of the issues with the Easytouch motherboards, is that J20 port has 17 volts on the red pin and the RS485 chip using pins green and yellow can only withstand 12v. Any shorts of power (red) to D+ (yellow) or D- (green) and the RS485 chip is killed. This is in addition to any lightning concerns...

Ogdento had suggested to me that the RS485 chip could be upgraded to a XR3085XID-F, RS485 chip which can withstand 18v. Since I see a lot of these motherboards, I have seen the RS485 chip fail and have replaced with the improved XR3085XID-F. Not fun since it is under the LCD display.

I believe a RS485 surge protector as close as possible to the motherboard is a good idea.

DL-06D3.jpg

Last edited:
Candurin
I'm right in the middle of a massive automation reconfig at the pad. But when done, here is how it should be configured.

1. A LAN CAT5E runs from a managed switch in the house to an unmanaged switch at the pad. From that switch, one Cat5E cable connects to the IntelliCenter ether port adapter. Another connects to a Raspberry Pi and another connects to a LINKSYS WiFi Extender (the WiFi is not utilized for any pool automation. Just WiFi enabled landscape lighting bulbs), all of which are housed within my new automation enclosure at the pad.

2. Another CAT5E is utilized as an RS-485 (Serial-over-Ether) which connects the IntelliCenter RS-485 bus to my nodejs-poolController-dashPanel Raspberry Pi and also connects one IntelliValve at the pad to a development Raspberry Pi (also in the house).

3. The third CAT5E is a spare. A lot easier to pull a spare initially than later (although I did pull a zip cord pull line just in case).

If there is one thing I have learned since getting into this pool automation world, "future proofing" is a lot easier initially than later. (y)
r.

Last edited:
One of the issues with the Easytouch motherboards, is that J20 port has 17 volts on the red pin and the RS485 chip using pins green and yellow can only withstand 12v. Any shorts of power (red) to D+ (yellow) or D- (green) and the RS485 chip is killed. This is in addition to any lightning concerns...

Ogdento had suggested to me that the RS485 chip could be upgraded to a XR3085XID-F, RS485 chip which can withstand 18v. Since I see a lot of these motherboards, I have seen the RS485 chip fail and have replaced with the improved XR3085XID-F. Not fun since it is under the LCD display.

I believe a RS485 surge protector as close as possible to the motherboard is a good idea.

View attachment 165524
Valuable Info.... (y)

@MyAZPool any chance I could convince you to snap some photos when you’re done tinkering?

I can get whatever I need to run outside, it’s simple at this stage. I might just put a nema box outside the IC load center and keep all the extra automation goodies there. Fortunately, I won’t need any wifi extenders or adapters as I get full wifi speeds from my router in my shed, which is the furthest point of our yard where the pool is going.

I believe a Screenlogic Wireless kit P/N 522620 should work fine to bridge the RS485 wires wirelessly to a remote location running poolController. I will test this option soon...

Also in theory a RS485 to IP adapter, USR-TCP232-304 at $25.00 may also work. I have asked Tagyoureit, for config.json setting for the USR-TCP232-304

Reactions: cmc0619

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.