Pentair ichlor 30

May 18, 2015
Oviedo, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
I just recently purchased a house with a pool. The swg is a pentair ic30. I cleaned the cell the other day and now the display randomly comes on. I can't see the chlorine output or any errors it may spit out.. the led lights appear to be working though.

I am not sure right now if the cell is producing chlorine or if the output may not be set right... I test the water and I get 0 free chlorine. All other chemistry seems to be in check. I'm thinking this cell is toast.

I think it's time for a new cell. I can't seem to find the ichlor 30 anywhere but can find a ic40. Does anyone know if the 40 will work with the same power unit as the 30??

Yes, they are interchangeable
In the meantime until your cell troubles are remedied use liquid chlorine daily to reach target 🎯 level for your cya FC/CYA Levels.
Thank you!

Any ill effects of running a larger unit than was previously on there? I assume not, and just may need to dial back chlorine generation, correct?

Generally only positives- less run time/percentage for the same amount of fc thus making your cell last longer & saving electricity by not having to run the pump as much.
Based on PoolMath effects of adding that unit would add approximately 2.8 ppm fc to your pool if run at 100% for 3 hrs. Or @50% for 6 hrs etc. You can play with runtimes/% & do what works best with your skimming needs. That unit should be able to be adjusted down to 20% if you have the need to run the pump longer.
14F01684-6295-4661-A31F-9F53236584B7.png
I suggest you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae since your fc has gone to zero. You need a proper test kit to do this.
Taylor k2006c +salt or tf100+ salt.
If you fail the oclt you will need to SLAM Process to eradicate the algae. Swg’s- even oversized ones- are not designed to overcome algae.

J,

Keep in mind the IC40 is much longer than iChlor cell. Just want to make sure you have enough space to mount the IC40, before you buy one.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Looks like the previous owner had a larger unit on here previously, it has a small extension between the generator and the main pipe.. Looks like it will fit.

I am only considering going with the IC40, Becasue I can get the cell only and use the current power supply and save a few bucks, but before I layout any money - Would you guys receommend a different SWG system altogether?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
👍🏻 I haven’t had much coffee ☕️ yet - thought my eyes were playing tricks on me 🤣
Here’s the correct estimate
View attachment 406398
Thank you! Sorry to play tricks on your eyes so early in the morning. Appreciate you taking the time!

Should I be running pump longer if I am in Florida? OR will this math work assuming correct CYA level no matter what region of country?

The average fc loss in a residential pool is roughly 2-4 ppm/day.
Obviously leaning more towards 2 in milder temps, lower uv conditions & leaning towards the 4ppm in peak use times & hotter, higher uv conditions.
The swg should be adjusted seasonally to account for this. It is just an estimate & real world conditions can vary based on bather loads, organics,etc.
PoolMath effects of adding (then choosing your SWG 🔍) can give u an idea of where to start.
Always dose with liquid chlorine to reach target 🎯 fc level for your cya & then allow the swg to maintain that level. Swg’s produce chlorine slowly over time but liquid chlorine gets u there immediately without waiting around in the no,no zone & allowing things to grow.
For future reference- cleaning your cell w/ acid (Muriatic or vinegar) removes some of the coating on the rare earth metals from the cell - this reduces it’s life. It should be a last resort not a regular thing.
With Recommended Levels & a balanced csi to inhibit scale your cell shouldn’t really need much cleaning. If it does just use something like a popsicle stick that won’t scratch to gently remove the scale from the plates & then find the root cause for the scale in the 1st place.

You need to run your pump long enough to produce the fc you need daily & to skim to your liking.
Your signature doesn’t list if your pump is single speed or 2 speed etc.
many with 2 speed or variable speed pumps & swg’s choose to run on low all the time to keep the water skimmed & constantly produce fc - they just adjust the swg % accordingly. This saves electricity.

You need to run your pump long enough to produce the fc you need daily & to skim to your liking.
Your signature doesn’t list if your pump is single speed or 2 speed etc.
many with 2 speed or variable speed pumps & swg’s choose to run on low all the time to keep the water skimmed & constantly produce fc - they just adjust the swg % accordingly. This saves electricity.
I have a single speed. I would LOVE to save electric if possible, but right now I dont have the budget to replace SWG and pump.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Then just run it long enough to produce enough fc daily & if you want more time for skimming do so. Is your pool in a cage? If so, then skimming debris may not be much of an issue anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.