PENTAIR IC60 - un plug when vacuuming or back flushing?

SCpoolboy

Jul 10, 2023
South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Starting 2nd season with this system. I think? I un plugged it most of the time last year. Getting the pool dialed in now and want to get this right. A search didn’t seem to net much as far as a definitive answer.

Thx

I saw the red light flashing the whole time I was vacuuming and got spooked. Thinking it was flashing cause there’s no water flowing thru the unit when the vari flush is on waste.

I saw the red light flashing the whole time I was vacuuming and got spooked. Thinking it was flashing cause there’s no water flowing thru the unit when the vari flush is on waste.

Show us pics of your pool equipment as I don't understand how things are flowing when you are vacuuming.

When the valve is in the "waste" position, there is no water flowing through the system except the valve and backwash line. The cell will not turn on so it is no problem leaving it connected.

Reactions: SCpoolboy
I guess that was my concern. No water flowing thru the cell while it’s on (plugged in) = overheat.

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    612.5 KB · Views: 10
It shuts itself off with no flow. It's your secondary fail safe and it's working as it should. (y)
FLOW switches fail.

For safety, your procedure after you set the MPV to WASTE and turn the pump back on for vacuuming you MUST check the cell that you have the red NO FLOW light showing the cell is off. If the FLOW light is GREEN then do not vacuum until you replace the flow switch

Why are you vacuuming to waste so frequently that it is an issue? Vacuuming to waste that often shouldn’t be a routine. When backwashing you should be at the pad anyway and can easily visually verify the flow switch is functioning correctly by the no flow indicator.

Reactions: Newdude
I’ve vacuumed to wasted for 20 yrs. It’s what the pool place told me way back then so that’s what I’ve done all these years. It seemed to make sense since you’re trying to evacuate algae, pollen from the pool. I seem to remember also that they said it created a stronger vacuum? ….but that was a looooong time ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve vacuumed to wasted for 20 yrs. It’s what the pool place told me way back then so that’s what I’ve done all these years. It seemed to make sense since you’re trying to evacuate algae, pollen from the pool. I seem to remember also that they said it created a stronger vacuum? ….but that was a looooong time ago.
Yes in extreme circumstances you should vac to waste. Once in the spring is applicable. But 99% of the rest of the time time just vac to filter.

The only reason to vac to waste is when the debris in the pool is so bad it's more cost and time effective to bypass the filter and just dump the offending water containing the debris. Floc is another example of this.

As Newdude stated you've been given 💩 advice by the pool store, so take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: SCpoolboy
If you are maintaining your pool to TFP standards, you aren't going to have algae.
And if your pool remains open all year, you need to maintain the chemicals all year round.

For normal frequent vacuuming, use the filter setting, not waste. Many times after vacuuming, you won't even need to backwash the filter. In a sand filter, a little dirt actually helps the filter work better. No need to baxkwash until the filter pressure rises 25% above the clean filter pressure at higher pump RPMs.

Are you always manually vacuuming or do you also have some type of automatic pool cleaner?