Pentair IC40 salt reading keep going up, bad sensor?

LearningAboutPools

Jul 4, 2021
Henderson, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
About a month ago my IC40's salt readings started going up.

My pool has been at 3900 or 3800 since I first put salt in it when it was built a year ago.

I'm testing with a digital salt . measuring tool and it reads 3930. My Taylor kit comes in right around there too (4,000 or 3,800).

My IC40 has started going higher and higher and is 5000 now.

I cleaned the IC40 with muriatic acid per the cleaning instructions but it hasn't made any difference.

Thoughts or suggestions?

If it was just high I'd recalibrate, but it is steadily increasing so I'm not sure how to address this?

L,

The IC40 does not really measure the salt level, it looks at how conductive the water is, and makes a wild guess. The water temp is part of this guess. The IC40 uses a thermistor inside the flow switch to measure the water temp. When this thermistor goes bad, the salt readings are often off.

If the IC40 is under warranty, have Pentair come and fix it. It not, installing a new flow switch is a pretty easy DIY project.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.