San Ramon
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My pool (see sig) is about 2 months old. After the first month I started adding salt (slowly) to bring the level up to 3200-3400. Note that I use a PH meter (Safedip) for routine PH measurement and that also gives me a salt reading. Using the silver nitrate test in my TF-100 kit always matches the safe dip meter within 100 ppm or so. Today they are both showing 3400. The salt reading from the IC-40 is (for the past 2-3 weeks) is a bit more random, coming in at 3150 to 3500. These reading have been stable for several weeks. Al the other numbers look good. CYA is a bit low for a salt pool, since I was running LC for the first month, but my plan is to bring those up slowly now that I have the SWG close to dialed in.

Now here is the change. Yesterday the electrician was over to migrate my MasterTemp heater to RS-485 control. When they put it in initially they were just using 2 wires to the fireman switch, so they had to add the RS485 cable and rejumper the fireman switch. Heater is working fine now. Nothing else was touched, though of course the system was shut down while doing the work.

The problem - the IC-40 is showing high salt - 4450 right now. I have reset the SWG 3 or 4 times since then and it always gets readings above 4000(!). This is clearly wrong. We do seem to be making chlorine, I can see the bubbles and my FC numbers are staying up, or even climbing a litltle, but the high salt warning is present on the SWG. No alarm at the Intellicenter.

The question - what am I looking at, and what should I do to troubleshoot further? Should I pull the cell and clean it? Sit on it for a week and see what happens? Try and get pentair support involved?

Your thoughts and advice apreciated.

Thanks!

Dale

The temperature thermistor int he flow switch may be off.

.Pressing the “More” button after the display shows 1,000s of hours of usage, will show temperature as follows:

LightsTemperature
No LEDsBelow 30F
40%36 to 45F
40% and 60%46 to 55F
60%56 to 65F
60% and 80%66 to 75F
80%76 to 85F
80 and 100%86 to 95F
100%96 to 99F
100% blinkingover 99F
All LEDs blinkingSensor bad

Press and hold the More button until the lights scroll and note which % light lights up. Then, immediately press the More button again and see which % lights light up.

See how the temperature display compares with the actual water temperature.

a small update - IC40 is still reading 4450 at the Intellicenter, but the salt LED on the unit has changed to solid Green. The only difference is that I turned on the heater to warm up the pool for a late afternoon swim.

Two things you'll read here all the time: If the Salt Good light is on, don't worry; and get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.
I agree with both of those.

Well, 80 and 100 are lighting up right now, which seems reasonable since I just kicked on the heater. I will check that again tonight after we are done heating the pool. Also thanks for letting me know this neat feature :)

Two things you'll read here all the time: If the Salt Good light is on, don't worry; and get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.
I agree with both of those.
Those are the same R630 and R718 reagents that came with my TFT kit, right? Ran that test this morning and the result is spot on with the SafeDip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.