Pentair IC40 question

Jul 16, 2016
Sarasota, Florida
We just took over our pool care last month. I bought a Taylor test kit but didn't get the one that tests salt. Novice mistake! Anyway, I noticed last night before the pump went off that the display panel showed SALT LEVEL LOW. The cell light is OFF. The flow light and sanitizer outputs are both on solid green. I would guess I need to take a water sample to the local Pinch a Penny to check my salt level. If it REALLY is low, I can add salt and see if the cell light comes back on? If the salt level is ok and the cell is showing low, does this mean our cell has bitten the dust? It is 4 years old, runs 10 hours a day, and runs year round as we are in SW Florida. Am I on the right track or is there anything else I should do?
Thanks y'all!

There is a chance the thermistor has failed in the IC flow switch. Get a reliable salinity test of the pool water.

Reactions: Volgirl65
There is a chance the thermistor has failed in the IC flow switch. Get a reliable salinity test of the pool water.
Salt level is 3900 and chlorine was 3.0 so the IC40 is still generating chlorine because I haven't added any. We had issue with the flow switch a few weeks ago, it was going red to green and back and forth. We almost changed it then but then it went green and stayed that way. (It still is green.) Is it possible that is the problem making the entire display a little wonky or should we be shopping for a new SWG? Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, my mistake. I thought you had Easytouch.

Follow the procedure in the link below to determine what water temperature the cell is reading.
Ok, my mistake. I thought you had Easytouch.

Follow the procedure in the link below to determine what water temperature the cell is reading.

What is the actual water temperature now?

Per my heater, the water temp is 83. I did the test and all 5 lights were blinking green when I hit the "more" button after it went through it's check. So that sounds like the flow sensor is bad, correct? Oh my head is spinning!!!

What is the actual water temperature now?

Probably a bad flow sensor.

Instead of replacing the flow sensor, you could install a separate pentair temperature sensor in the plumbing by the cell and connect it to the cell as the temperature sensor instead of the sensor in the flow switch.

Maybe just disconnect the temperature sensor from the cell now to see if that helps.

full

Just disconnect the green and white wires for now to see if it works.

Probably a bad flow sensor.

Instead of replacing the flow sensor, you could install a separate pentair temperature sensor in the plumbing by the cell and connect it to the cell as the temperature sensor instead of the sensor in the flow switch.

Maybe just disconnect the temperature sensor from the cell now to see if that helps.
That is where my husband will come in. I will show him this information when he gets home from work. Thanks for your help and information!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.