Pentair IC40 Comm Link Error

Sep 11, 2017
Little Elm
I have a 3 year old pool with the Pentair IC40. Until last week, it has worked without problems. When I go to the diagnostics menu on the Easy Touch control panel or wireless remote, I can the Comm Link Error and 0 ppm. I pulled the IC40 off and cleaned this weekend, but no change in status. The LEDs on the IC40 itself indicate it is working fine: Salt is solid green, Cell Status is solid green, Flow Status is solid green, and the output is set to 40%. Before I start throwing money after replacing parts, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any advice as to which parts to start with...

If the cell is showing it is working, I would bet it is working.

Most likely in the EasyTouch. Might need to check the Comm connection for it in the EasyTouch.

Take care.

C,

Welcome to TFP... A Great pool resource for all pool owners no matter how little their Elm is... :drown:

Sounds like you have lost your communications link with the cell. The problem could be the cell or the com port in the EasyTouch.

If you have an IntelliFlo pump and the pump's display says "Display not Active", that is a pretty good indication the com port is working.. If the display does not show "Display not active" then most likely the problem is a bad com port which is part of the main circuit card.

Could also be as simple as the connection at the bottom of the EasyTouch, but most likely not, but worth a shot. Or maybe the cable in behind the panel at the top of the EasyTouch has come disconnected from the com port. Again, most likely not, but worth another shot.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. I'll check out the pump when I get home.

C,

Welcome to TFP... A Great pool resource for all pool owners no matter how little their Elm is... :drown:

Sounds like you have lost your communications link with the cell. The problem could be the cell or the com port in the EasyTouch.

If you have an IntelliFlo pump and the pump's display says "Display not Active", that is a pretty good indication the com port is working.. If the display does not show "Display not active" then most likely the problem is a bad com port which is part of the main circuit card.

Could also be as simple as the connection at the bottom of the EasyTouch, but most likely not, but worth a shot. Or maybe the cable in behind the panel at the top of the EasyTouch has come disconnected from the com port. Again, most likely not, but worth another shot.

Thanks,

Jim R.

UPDATE - the IntelliFlo pump shows "Display Not Active", so the com port is working, presumably. Also, I went into the IntelliClor settings and cranked the % up to 100% to see what happened. The LEDs on the salt cell changed to reflect the new setting from the controller. So, The controller is communicating down to the salt cell; it's just the salt cell is not communicating back the PPM. Is there any serviceable sensor on the salt cell that can be replaced?

C,

It the cell was not reading the salt level it would fail the salt high or low indicator... It does sound like the cell is just not communicating back to the ET.

One option would be to just continue to use it as is.. As long as it is producing chlorine and the high or low salt light is not on, it really matters little what the actual salt level is..

I guess I would call Pentair and see what they have to say... Maybe there is a trick to getting the cell back on line.

Thanks,

Jim R.

charbaugh, did you ever resolve the situation? I have a new setup and am experiencing the same 'com link error' shown on the intellitouch display. The salt cell itself does who it is on and working but the intellitouch does not seem to be able to read it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.