Pentair IC20 Troubleshooting

Megarms

Dec 23, 2017
Eldersburg, MD
-Pentair IC20 a little older than 1 year.
-Plenty of flow out of the returns
-Cartridge Filter is one year old and cleaned regularly

Two days ago, the Flow Light was red and the Cell light was flashing. I called Pentair and after 45 minutes on hold they told me that they would send a technician out under warranty (unless of course there were no factory defects, then I would have to pay). I had to take the unit off in order to read the serial number to them. A few hours after I put it back on, the Flow light is and has been bright green, however the Cell light is not on at all (see photo).

Is this the way it is supposed to be, or is the Cell light supposed to be on. The manual says that I may need salt and since I am on the low end (2950 PPM), I added a bag this morning.

Thank you for any help.

Chlorinator.jpg

Two days ago, the Flow Light was red and the Cell light was flashing. I called Pentair and after 45 minutes on hold they told me that they would send a technician out under warranty (unless of course there were no factory defects, then I would have to pay). I had to take the unit off in order to read the serial number to them. A few hours after I put it back on, the Flow light is and has been bright green, however the Cell light is not on at all.

Meg,

Keep in mind that the cell light is only on when the cell is producing chlorine.. If you have your output set to 50%, then the cell lite would be on for about 2.5 minutes and off for 2.5 minutes, etc...

As a test you can increase the output to 100% and the light should be constantly on.

The flow switch can go bad and is an easy DIY fix, they cost about $100 bucks. But should be under warranty for a one year old cell..

When you had the cell out, did you check for scale inside on the plates??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Tena
So, the red light is back on again and I had to call Pentair to schedule the warranty work. They wont be here for a few days. Is there a way that I can trick the generator into thinking there is water flow (which there is) so that it will generate chlorine?

You can short the two flow switch wires together, but if you do you will need to run the pump 24/7. If the cell is on, when there is not flow, it can explode...

To do this, connect the red and black wires coming out of the cell together..

When you shut off your pump, if any of the lights on the cell are on then you will need to shut off the power to the swcg's power center by throwing a breaker so that the cell gets no power at all..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.