Pentair ic-60 flow problem

It's an unusual problem.

I would worry about if water got into the electronics.

Can you determine how far the water got?
Well, the rest of the unit works, but it may only be a matter of time.

i cannibalized the flow switch off my old ic60 and no go. Would presume if it worked on one it would work in the other.

is Pentair still any good or is there another swg I could just plug into what I have if I’m gonna have to by a new one anyway.

is Pentair still any good or is there another swg I could just plug into what I have if I’m gonna have to by a new one anyway.
They are still a quality product.
Do you have Pentair automation? Do you adjust the Intellichlor at the cell itself or via automation?

There are generic cells that will use your power center and fit into your unions. They cannot be controlled via automation.

I've seen this problem in electronics from my offshore sailing days. Happened when we used non-marine grade copper wire for wiring electronics like chart plotter to gps and autopilot. After I switched to much more expensive marine grade tinned wire the problem stopped. This indicates to me the problem is salt water intrusion that James is suggesting.

Chris

No auto
They are still a quality product.
Do you have Pentair automation? Do you adjust the Intellichlor at the cell itself or via automation?

There are generic cells that will use your power center and fit into your unions. They cannot be controlled via automation
no Automation, still even a mechanical timer, if you can believe that.

so does this just look like water in the unit? No way to crack it open right? Never seen foam in a wiring harness before.

I've seen this problem in electronics from my offshore sailing days. Happened when we used non-marine grade copper wire for wiring electronics like chart plotter to gps and autopilot. After I switched to much more expensive marine grade tinned wire the problem stopped. This indicates to me the problem is salt water intrusion that James is suggesting.

Chris
Just read this Chris and it sounds right. Had it on my boat.

New, but EBay. Didnt really think anything of it. Bought my first on EBay as well
I wonder if you can reach out to your local Pentair sales rep. I know tech support usually has a script and can only warranty under certain parameters. But The sales rep in my area has given quite a few things outside of warranty. I would try and reach out because this is obviously a manufacturer defect.

Last edited:
Just read this Chris and it sounds right. Had it on my boat.
I don't know if major brands use tinned wire or more likely just have a better seal between the pressure-containing flow switch area and the wire but it looks like this may be the issue. If it were me I'd get a replacement from a reputable 3rd party such as Circupool or an authorized Pentair rep.

Chris

I don't know if major brands use tinned wire or more likely just have a better seal between the pressure-containing flow switch area and the wire but it looks like this may be the issue. If it were me I'd get a replacement from a reputable 3rd party such as Circupool or an authorized Pentair rep.

Chris
What would be a couple of brands I could plug in without to much modification if I went different than Pentair?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What would be a couple of brands I could plug in without to much modification if I went different than Pentair?
The only places I know of that sell salt systems are discount salt pool, Polytec, and Inyopools. I've personally used all three and recommend them all for anything they sell. All three seem to have a good reputation here for honoring warranties and customer service. I know discount salt pools has replacement cells for IC 60. Not sure about the others. They also have a great reputation on here as does Pentair. I think you have a couple options:
  • See if your eBay source will make an exception on the warranty for the "water in cable" issue.
  • Replace the cell using Pentair replacement with authorized supplier/installer and get full warranty.
  • Replace with a reputable replacement 3rd party such as Circupool with their full DIY warranty.
  • Take your chances with an eBay or other again. Warranty questionable.
If your supplier won't play ball then I think the next two choices are much preferred. The warranty issue is especially important with salt cells. All manufacturers have some failures that don't become apparent in the first year and this is expensive to fix out of pocket.

I hope this is helpful..

Chris

The only places I know of that sell salt systems are discount salt pool, Polytec, and Inyopools. I've personally used all three and recommend them all for anything they sell. All three seem to have a good reputation here for honoring warranties and customer service. I know discount salt pools has replacement cells for IC 60. Not sure about the others. They also have a great reputation on here as does Pentair. I think you have a couple options:
  • See if your eBay source will make an exception on the warranty for the "water in cable" issue.
  • Replace the cell using Pentair replacement with authorized supplier/installer and get full warranty.
  • Replace with a reputable replacement 3rd party such as Circupool with their full DIY warranty.
  • Take your chances with an eBay or other again. Warranty questionable.
If your supplier won't play ball then I think the next two choices are much preferred. The warranty issue is especially important with salt cells. All manufacturers have some failures that don't become apparent in the first year and this is expensive to fix out of pocket.

I hope this is helpful..

Chris
went to DSP and Pentair stuff was waitlisted, but the aftermarket for the ic60 was in stock. Anybody have experience with this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.