Pentair IC-40 troubleshooting

jdubs12

Sep 15, 2020
Fort Wayne, IN
Hi all! I am new to pools. This will be our first full season. Last year our salt cell worked well and this year it seems to have some serious issues. I've researched all of the other threads and there are a lot of solutions that involve splicing wires, etc. I'm not totally opposed to that but not as technically savvy as some of the people on here. Here is the situation. When I first turn on power, the red low salt light flashes. No other lights come on, not the flow light or anything else. Then after a minute or so all lights go off. I guess if there are steps to trouble shoot this I would love to hear them. I already checked the cell and it's clean as a whistle. What next? Do I just need a new cell?

When an IC40 is first powered up for the day, the Green and Red salt lights flash, kind of like at a railroad crossing.. This just means the cell is running a salt calibration test.

For the salt test to work at all, the flow light needs to be green.

If the cell does not have any lights at all, either the cell is not getting power, or the cell is bad...

How old is the cell?

Is this a standalone set up with an External Power Center, or do you have an EasyTouch with a built-in SWCG power center??

I suggest that you disconnect the cell from the power center or EasyTouch and make sure the pins in the connector are not corroded.. If ok, reconnect it.

Even when a cell is old and not producing chlorine, they generally still light up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

T

When an IC40 is first powered up for the day, the Green and Red salt lights flash, kind of like at a railroad crossing.. This just means the cell is running a salt calibration test.

For the salt test to work at all, the flow light needs to be green.

If the cell does not have any lights at all, either the cell is not getting power, or the cell is bad...

How old is the cell?

Is this a standalone set up with an External Power Center, or do you have an EasyTouch with a built-in SWCG power center??

I suggest that you disconnect the cell from the power center or EasyTouch and make sure the pins in the connector are not corroded.. If ok, reconnect it.

Even when a cell is old and not producing chlorine, they generally still light up.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you for your response. I'll try to answer as best I can. I believe the cell was bought in 2012 but it was at the house when we purchased it last year so I don't know for sure. The cell is on an external fuse and the cord connects into a box outside of the cell so I believe it's an external power center, but not sure. The flow light never comes on at all. I finally got through to Pentair and they said to get a new flow switch. But it's $188 and I don't know if I want to spend that much if that's not the problem. The cell is getting power because the low salt light flashes red at first, but then goes off. Amazon sells replacement flow switches that are supposed to replace those that come directly from Pentair but I don't know if I trust them. Has anyone had any luck with them? Sometimes the replacements are identical and sometimes they are junk.

I don't fully understand how a bad flow switch would prevent all the lights from working.. Does not make sense to me..

If the cell is from 2012 that make it about 9 years old.. That is very long in the tooth for a salt cell..

I would invest in a new cell. But if you thought $188 is a lot, wait until you see how much cells cost now... :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't fully understand how a bad flow switch would prevent all the lights from working.. Does not make sense to me..

If the cell is from 2012 that make it about 9 years old.. That is very long in the tooth for a salt cell..

I would invest in a new cell. But if you thought $188 is a lot, wait until you see how much cells cost now... :(

Thanks,

Jim R.
I don't fully understand it either. LOL. But he said the flow switch is the key to all of the functionality. If the flow switch is bad then nothing will work. I am not concerned about $188 if it fixes the issue but I don't want to sink that money into it when I could put it towards a new cell, especially if that isn't even the issue. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll have to think it over.

Alternative if you need a flow switch.

Reactions: jdubs12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.