Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We have a ic40 Pentair salt cell green light blinking. First time opening pool in May. FC levels has been steady at 5. But today it’s at 1.5. I am thinking the cell is not generated as well. It saids to inspect cell. I am not sure how to do that? Should I turn off cell until we can inspect it? Probably won’t get to it until tomorrow? Should I add liquid chlorine until the generator cell is working again? Is this typically for a new cell to need inspection? Does it mean we have a bad cell? Thanks

Moved from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add chlorine to maintain your FC.

Check the cell for scale. If none, that is a typical indicator of a failed cell. How old is the cell?

Cloey,

I just want to confirm that the blinking green light is labeled as the "Cell" light.

It will blink if you cell has scale build up inside. If the cell is clean inside, then that means the cell is bad. If this is a new cell it will be covered under warranty.

You never want you FC to get down below you target level. You need to add liquid chlorine now!! Use liquid chlorine until you can get the cell cleaned or replaced.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Add chlorine to maintain your FC.

Check the cell for scale. If none, that is a typical indicator of a failed cell. How old is the cell?
Pool and equipment install last October. Pool was closed at the end of Oct. opened for the first time this May. So technically has been used for many total of 4 months. Is it typically for a cell to go bad that quick? Should I turn the cell off until we can inspect it or get it replaced?

Pool and equipment install last October. Pool was closed at the end of Oct. opened for the first time this May. So technically has been used for many total of 4 months. Is it typically for a cell to go bad that quick? Should I turn the cell off until we can inspect it or get it replaced?
Do you have a video on how to remove the cell to inspect to see if there is scale built up?

It is not typical for a cell to fail that soon. Typical life is 5+ years.

You can leave it on. Inspect it for scale. There should not be any unless your pool water chemistry is not properly managed.

Cloey,

I just want to confirm that the blinking green light is labeled as the "Cell" light.

It will blink if you cell has scale build up inside. If the cell is clean inside, then that means the cell is bad. If this is a new cell it will be covered under warranty.

You never want you FC to get down below you target level. You need to add liquid chlorine now!! Use liquid chlorine until you can get the cell cleaned or replaced.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim! Yes the green blinking light is for the cell. Should I shut it off until I can inspect for scale build up? Is it normal for the cell to go bad first season using the cell? Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.