Pentair IC 40 appears to not be generating chlorine

Good Evening All,
A couple days ago I did a chlorine test and my free chlorine was 11ppm. No CC's according to my tests. I had my generator set on 70% output, all lights on cell are green. CYA is currently at 90. Water temp has fluctuated between 85-93 over the past week. Water appeared to be a bit cloudy so added some clarifier. That did clear up the water however chlorine levels have continued to drop even after chlorinator bumped to 100%. Salt level on the pentair app shows 3600. Free chlorine went down to 7 as of Friday AM. Reached out to PB and they sent their maintenance guy out and replaced it with an IC 20 for testing. Set it to 100% and now the chlorine is now at 5. Still no CC's. We have received 1.75 inches of rain here over the weekend. There was swimming yesterday as well for about 4-5 hours. Just seems like even with everything going on my chlorine level should be headed up. Should I leave my pool on overnight to see if my levels go up in the morning? Open to additional suggestions.

Thanks!

Post a complete set of test results..

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT

Jones,

If the "Cell" light was on the cell was generating chlorine.. I suspect you are just not running it long enough and you have an algae bloom..

One of the reasons that we don't use clarifier is because it can hide things.. Cloudy generally means you have the start of algae.. Just because the clarifier temporary made the pool clear does not mean it fixed anything.

How long do you normally run your cell each day, and at what percentage?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Good morning Jim, It's currently running 10 hours per day and it was at 70% however I bumped it up to 100% and the chlorine level never went up. What you say about the clarifier makes sense now. Fairly certain I have an algae or something else issue. After doing the OCLT last night, I went from 5ppm to 0ppm when i checked it this morning. Luckily i had a gallon of cocentrated bleach and I was able to get that into the pool. I'm going to start the SLAM process today and get it cleared up.

Good morning everyone, just a quick update with full test results.

FC 34
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 80
CH 325
CYA 75
SALT 3500

CYA is down to 75 from 90 I guess due to the 1.5 inches of rain we had this morning.

With that said, the water is extremely clear however i did lose 2ppm of chlorine overnight. Pump was running however the SWG was shut off. Maybe that had something to do with the rain? My plan is to continue the slam process through tonight and then do another OCLT tomorrow evening. Do you think this is safe. Also, in looking through TFP at the SLAM process, I'm not certain that I have/had a combination of an alge bloom along with ammonia. The reason I think possible ammonia is we have 4 sheer decents and on top of these decents sit planters. When I put miracle grow into the plants it will sometimes run off and into the pool. We did the same thing last year but never had an issues so I'm not sure that enough would be running off to create that issue.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and I hope that everyone is safe out there!

Thanks
jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Losing 2 ppm with FC at 36 in the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test may be ok. There is some natural loos at high FC levels.

Let your FC drop down to 10 and see if your pass an OCLT around there.

If you had CYA and FC in the water then you didn't have ammonia.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.