Pentair Heat Pump Not Heating Enough

Level_one

Aug 9, 2020
Oakland, CA
Hi all,
I just upgraded my ancient pool equipment with a whole new Pentair setup (heater, filter, Easytouch, etc.). The Ultratemp 140 heat pump is just not getting the pool warm enough and I’m wondering if it’s defective, a bad install, or just the limits of a heat pump in my climate zone.

Iknow Northern California is not prime heat pump territory, but we installed solar PV (free electricity) and a heat pump for the house and it’s been great. I went heat pump for the pool hoping for a similar outcome. The system never seems to reach more than a few degrees above ambient temp (even running for 8 hrs). We like our pool warm (mid-high 80’s) and we haven’t seen higher than 83F (air temp hit 85 yesterday).

Could I have a bad unit? Could it not be setup right? Or is this just what I should expect from a heat pump?

thanks all!

Welcome to the forum.

First, please read this and fill out your signature. It is hard to help when we know nothing about your pool.

A 140k BTU heater should increase water temperatures 0.8F per hour in a 20,000 gallon pool.

What is the size of the pool, the morning water temperature and the evening temperature after the 8 hours of heating?

Are you using a pool cover?

I know you are a little cooler than I am but with all the hot weather we have been having, your pool should be very warm. Mine is over 90 in the afternoon.

How big is your pool? Mine is 15,000 gallons, and my Pentair 140 heats about 1 degree per hour. I'm in central California, so of course not using it at the moment, just when temps are in the 70s or 80s to keep the pool at around 85 degrees. The way things are looking I may have to try out the chiller this week!

Thanks mas985, signature updated.

Given our weather last week it's been getting up to temperature. I just want to make sure I can still have a warm pool even if it's only in the 70's outside. I am using solar rings now to cover the pool. (It's big and an odd wedge shape so using a complete cover is really inconvenient.)

It sounds like my numbers are not too crazy. For a pool my size I may want to add a small gas heater for the last few degrees. I wanted the hybrid ETI system originally but it was too big to fit in the space I have. If I can use the Easytouch to control my HP and a gas system to make it behave like the hybrid, it may end up being the better option anyway.

Pool temp will drop to the mid-70's overnight. I'm starting to get ahead of it, so hopefully if I can keep the pool warm enough it won't drop so low.

On a side note, the Easytouch system has been really disappointing as well. I can't seem to properly control the temperature, or turn the heater function on/off. I can only turn off the HP if I change the temp on the HP itself.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 9.59.03 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 9.59.03 AM.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 4
The key is to get it to your target temperature, and it should stay there. That heat pump should have no problem with weather in the 70s.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.