Pentair freeze protect

Aug 4, 2017
Overland Park
I’ve got the Pentair Intellitouch. Freeze protect mode worked fine for 2 years, then wasn’t working this spring. It would previously move the valve between the waterfall and the pool circulation every 15 minutes when the air temperature was below 36. After much trouble shooting and having the pool guys come look at it, they finally spoke to a Pentair rep who explained that the recent firmware update would no longer allow for the valve to be controlled by freeze protect mode. It had to be switched to assign the waterfall to the spa circuit (I don’t have a spa). This is probably confusing but the bottom line is if you have freeze protect mode set up you may need to confirm that it is still working after this firmware update. Pentair really should notify of changes like this that could cause significant damage.

B,

I call total Bull Stuff...

Freeze protection works like it has always worked... And... How did the F/W in your EasyTouch or IntelliTouch get changed???

Freeze comes preset for the Pool and Spa modes.. If you want to have your waterfall or even lights on freeze protection you just need to tell the system..

I have a light circuit that comes on and runs a small heater in my pool shed.

Check out this ScreenLogic page and note the box on the left hand side where you check "on with Freeze"...

View media item 1964

Edit.. Or maybe I do not understand what it is you think changed.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok call BS lol. I’m just trying to help here and possibly help someone avoid damage. All I can tell you is that I have a very experienced pool builder who sent out his best tech people and it took them two visits and phone calls to the Pentair people to figure out why my freeze protect was not coming on anymore. The rep attributed it to a recent firmware update; the pool guy changed my settings around and now it works again. Of course now I have to set my pool heater temperature and waterfall heater temperature separately. Nothing easy on this system. Everything had previously been working fine without any changes made to my setup for 2 years. Worked before winterization but not this spring. Same exact settings. I’m just telling you what they told me. I did not intentionally update the firmware. I can’t give you any more specifics because despite being fairly technically savvy I find the Pentair software to be a complete disaster. It seems like it was written in the early 1980s. By a middle school student. And yes, my pool and waterfall valve were both previously set to freeze protect on. I’m not THAT ignorant of how this “software” works lol

Last edited:
Did you install a firmware update on your IntelliTouch? I did not think Pentair can push a firmware update onto your system without your intervention.

No but I will be sure to tell them not to change anything without discussing with me first.

So I don't understand how a firmware update snuck into your IntelliTouch panel?

I don’t know. I’m suspicious the pool company updates the panels that they service so that they can login remotely. But I just don’t know. All I can tell you is that freeze protect worked flawlessly for two years on my system and then when we opened the pool this spring it did not. I hadn’t changed a thing. We had to assign the waterfall to the spa circuit as a workaround to get it to work. This was per the Pentair rep’s advice, and the rep claimed it was a known issue after an update. Let’s go ahead and delete this whole thread it doesn’t seem to be very helpful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let’s go ahead and delete this whole thread it doesn’t seem to be very helpful.

I disagree and think it very helpful.. I would rather keep it to help collect info from others in the future... If other people end up with the same issue, then it will help us to know about what might be the problem.

The way your system is currently running is how my system has worked for the past 6 years, so it is a puzzle. I believe that the system is designed to switch between the Pool mode and Spa mode every 15 minutes.. but, if anything else is freeze protected, it will just stay on. So to make it switch between the waterfall and the pool, it makes sense to me that the you have to trick it into thinking it is switching between the pool and spa.

Thanks for your post,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.