Pentair FNSP 48 DE filter, mfred in 2021 has a different retaining nut than listed in the manual

ShinDiors

Jul 16, 2021
Northern VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just noticed that my new DE filter has a much larger (probably one inch OD brass nut, since my largest socket 13/16 is still too small). It came with this large nut and large washer in front of the spring. On the manual it says part number 194997 which is a 5/16 nut. I have the small one from my old PACFAB NS48 filter, and the threads matches (I can actually screw the small nut on)

Anyone noticed this? The filter itself looks nothing abnormal. Not sure if it is a minor design change. Ask this because I would like to know the part number in case replacement is needed in the future.

Wow, that's great info. Thanks James.

Do you happen to know the part number for the new nut/spring? The manual on Pentair site seems to still list the old part number.

Kinda silly question, it is brand new from the manufacturer, so all tight and sealed. I'm wondering if it would be necessary to open it up and check everything before turning on the pump and circulate the water.

Thanks a lot.

Kinda silly question, it is brand new from the manufacturer, so all tight and sealed. I'm wondering if it would be necessary to open it up and check everything before turning on the pump and circulate the water.

Thanks a lot.
I personally would take it apart to be sure nothing shifted during shipping. Also would want to lube the Oring with Pool Lube.

Reactions: ShinDiors

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@JamesW Would you recommend opening the lid up and check the inside before running the pump for it for the first time? Installed it as the condition it came out of the package. Not sure it is necessary to open it up before the pool opening this PM.

194117 seems to be the one held in my hand, smaller size but same 5/16-24 thread.

1682004760025.png

Part #194989Z​

pentair_pac-fab_nautilus_filter_parts_2_a_2.png

Reactions: ShinDiors
Just noticed that the water is seeping through this red circled area on the lid. Also the air relief valve's port seems to be wet for a long time, not sure if the water was flowing from that relief port down to the lid or it is the lid itself. Just opened today, was 13 psi and 6 hours later now it is 15psi. The filter was installed new out of the package, and exposed to water for the first time today.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I noticed that there was a seam between the main lid body and that little port for valve., and water seems to be out from there. I hope the leak was not from the pool company who lift the lid by holding the valve....But I could not believe the fragility of that material if that's the case.

I'm contacting Pentair but really worried about the turnout. I bought it last summer coz it was cheap and I thought it was a simple swap in an out from my old pacfab. Did not install it until recently thinking a brand new item should be OK. My general contractor put it in along with the new plumbing while pool was closed, but the pool company came to open yesterday that marked its first usage. If Pentair really want to be Rear about it, is this something fixable at all? Sigh...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.