Pentair EasyTouch questions....

clg82

Jun 25, 2013
Hello everyone, my current pool has a pool pump, booster pump, 2 lights (spa and pool), and a pool/spa heater. I purchased the Pentair EasyTouch 4 automation system, after speaking with the installer he mentioned I couldn’t use the booster pump with the easy touch because I didn’t have enough circuits, and that I would still have to use the pressure button in the spa itself to activate it. Do I NOT have enough circuits to run everything, we’re going to install it together and he’s never installed one before, just wanted to make sure we didn’t miss anything. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
is the booster pump for a cleaner (you'll need an aux circuit for that, set to master cleaner)?

you should have relay circuits for the spa, pool, and aux1-3. i believe you can also snag the solar circuit as an extra aux... @Jimrahbe can confirm

Attached a picture of the pumps for reference, the pump on the right is the “booster pump” and the one on the left is the actual pool pump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 18

The EasyTouch 4 comes with 4 relays.. Pump/Filter relay, and three Aux relays. As long as you are not going to use Solar, you can add a additional relays..

The pump/filter pump can only be used to control the main pump.

You will only need one relay for the lights in the pool and spa, as long as they both turn on and off together..

You will need one relay for your booster pump.

You do not need a high voltage relay for your heater.. It is connected directly to a circuit breaker and controlled by a low voltage relay inside the EasyTouch. You don't turn the 240 on and off to the heater, you just use the low voltage circuit called the Fireman's switch.

I have no clue what you are trying to activate from the spa, so you will need to tell us more about what you are wanting to do.

You basically set the temperature you want the spa to be inside the ET and it tells the heater to come on or not.

Do you have ScreenLogic???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim for your helpful response, first off we were worried that running both lights to the same relay would be too much for the relay so it’s nice to hear that we can have them both going to the same relay. As far as the spa goes, I’m wanting to turn the booster pump on from the spa with the ScreenLogic app.,....

I think you can do it. Notice that there is a special purpose relay output which activates with spa mode. You will use that output to trigger the spa pump relay. This means you will give up one Aux circuit, but you don't need it if both lights are on the same circuit. I have 2 500 watt incandescent bulbs on one circuit and it works fine. As Jim said, the heater does not use a relay. (Hopefully it's a gas heater and not an electric one.)
etrelays.png

If I connect the booster pump to that “spa” circuit, can I turn the booster pump on and off as I please without affecting the heater, and the pool pump that actually feeds the spa, I guess the better question is, does that “spa” circuit act like all other circuits and I can turn the booster pump on and off as I please? Not sure if any of that made any sense

Switching from Pool mode to Spa mode does several special things, so it is not like a generic Aux circuit. One of those things is to activate the heater if the water temperature is below what you have pre-set for the spa. Why would you want the heater not to fire up in Spa mode?
[EDIT: you can disable spa heating in the Heat Menu if you really want to, but that's not a quick button press and you'd need to go into that menu to re-enable it.]

Last edited:

If you want to independently turn the spa booster pump on and off, you will need to use one of your Aux relays.. The spa output connection is used to turn on a high voltage relay.. If you use it, the booster pump will be on the entire time you are in the Spa mode.

I just don't see an issue here. You seem to have enough relays to do what you want to do.

P/F for your main pump
Aux 1 for your two lights
Aux 2 for your spa booster pump
Aux 3 not yet used.. I suggest for an equipment pad light
AuxEx (Solar) could be used for an additional relay for ?????

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: clg82

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

If you want to independently turn the spa booster pump on and off, you will need to use one of your Aux relays.. The spa output connection is used to turn on a high voltage relay.. If you use it, the booster pump will be on the entire time you are in the Spa mode.

I just don't see an issue here. You seem to have enough relays to do what you want to do.

P/F for your main pump
Aux 1 for your two lights
Aux 2 for your spa booster pump
Aux 3 not yet used.. I suggest for an equipment pad light
AuxEx (Solar) could be used for an additional relay for ?????

Thanks,

Jim R.

thank you Jim, I will move forward and adjust as needed based on everyones suggestions, one last question, on our prior home with this exact same automation system there was an Alexa skill that I could use within the hope to set the spa temperature, turn on pumps etc......but I can no longer find it in the "Alexa skills" app......did they remove it completely, if so that would suck!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.