Pentair easytouch how to control irrigation valve

DavidJohn

Dec 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hello,

This is my first post, I would like to start by thanking the community for all of the valuable information on these forums!

I am reaching the ending stages of a new pool build and have decided to incorporate a pentair easy touch 4 control system (p/n 520914). In addition to controlling my pump and pool lights, I'm wondering if it would be possible to control a currently unused irrigation system valve to provide a convenient way to add water to the pool. The electrical characteristics of the irrigation valve are as follows:
  1. Controlled by 24 VAC signal
  2. Normally closed (when no signal applied, the valve prevents flow)
  3. To allow flow, 24 VAC is applied
  4. When 24 VAC is applied, result is in rush current of about 0.45 Amps
  5. After initial in rush, hold current is about 0.25 Amps
I've seen that the control board includes 2 auxiliary valve connections (3 pins), but I haven't been able to find any detailed information on how those function and am assuming they are only compatible with a specific pentair valve.

Assuming the aux valve connections won't be useful, the other obvious option to me is to use one of the aux circuits to switch 24 VAC to the irrigation valve. If this is the best option, can the 24 VAC output supplied by the system transformer be used?

Last question, is there a way to do this without consuming one of the aux circuits?

Thanks for any help offered, I really appreciate it.

David

David,

A valve actuator uses about .75 amps.. While the EasyTouch can turn two valves at once, so it would most likely work for your sprinkler valve, it is not something that I would use in a new unit still under warranty...

I have done exactly what you propose I use a Aux relay to provide power to a 24 VAC transformer which in-turn powers the sprinkler valve on, providing water to my pool.

The parts are pretty cheap compared to a new ET circuit card..

You can add a 5th relay by using the Solar/Aux Ex connector.. As long as you are not going to install a Solar system, the Aux Ex relay driver will provide 24 VDC to turn an extra relay on and off..

When I turn on Aux Ex (now named "Fill Line") the valve opens and lets water in the pool.. I set Aux Ex up as an Egg-Timer circuit set for 1 hour.. This means that I don't have to worry about shutting it off. After one hour it will automatically turn off.. And, since filling the pool is not a scheduled thing, it only turns on when I tell it too.

I used an standard ET relay, which I already had, because they fit in the panel so well, but any cheap relay would work, if you don't want to buy an ET relay.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Ahultin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.