Pentair controler not talking to Pentair Pump

Sep 21, 2017
houston, tx
I have a 3 year old Pentair Easy Touch control system that is connected to my Pentair 4 speed pump. While trying to get my controller to talk to my remote I erased the EPROM to reset it (it still doesn't communicate, but that is another problem). I have reprogramed the pool cleaner, and other water features so the controller turns them on and off, but can't get it to communicate with the main pool pump. So, I have just been leaving the main pool pump on at speed 3. Is the main pool pump a function or an auxiliary on the program of the controller? What am I doing wrong.

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!

By 4 speed pump do you mean the Intelliflo Variable Speed pump?

You will need to go into the EasyTouch menu and set it up as Pump 1. Then schedule it, set the speed(s) you want, etc.

Do you have your Easytouch documentation? It is not overly user friendly but I eventually figured it out.

Let us know if you have other questions. We have other forum members that can explain this better than I!

Take care.

Rob,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for when your equipment is not talking to each other... :shark:

It would help to know what pump you have... but, I will assume you have the IntelliFlo VS pump and not the SuperFlo VS pump.

The IntelliFlo is controlled by a serial cable that gets plugged into the pump's control panel. When the cable is attached and the EasyTouch is in the Auto mode (Not Service mode) the pump's display will read "Display Not Active".

If the pump's display does not say Display Not Active, then that is a pretty good indication that the communication buss is not working. If the only thing on the buss is the pump, then it is impossible to tell if the problem is the EasyTouch or the pump. If you have something else on the buss, like ScreenLogic or a SWG and they work, then the problem will not be the EasyTouch's communications buss.

So, step one is to ensure the date cable is connected at the pump and inside the EasyTouch.

Step two is to see if the pump's display reads "Display not Active."

I would also ensure that the EasyTouch knows the type of pump... On the LCD select SETTINGS, IntelliFlo, Pump#1... Under "Speeds" you should see something like the info below...

Pump Type..... VS
RPM.............. 1200
Circuit.....
[Pool]

Please let me know what your EasyTouch Display shows...

Thanks,

Jim R.

It is an Intelliflo variable speed pump. The display never says anything like it is communicating with the easy touch. I talked to my pool builder and he told me to check the connection between the serial cable and the pump. The connection was ok. I checked the continuity between the sockets on the plug end of the cable (where it plugs into the pump) to the two wires inside the easy touch controller. The top of the plug has 3 socket holes and the bottom has 4 socket holes. The very bottom socket hole had conductivity with both wires inside the easy touch controller. No other sockets had any conductivity. I take this a a short in the serial cable. Correct?

If your cable is plugged in between your pump and EasyTouch, and as Jim says your pump screen does NOT say "Display not Active.", then your Easytouch is not seeing your pump. If it appears the cable is successfully plugged in at the pump and ET, then a new cable would be the easiest thing to try. It is a RS485 cable.

Jim may have some other ideas ----

Take care.

I have a 3 year old Pentair Easy Touch control system that is connected to my Pentair 4 speed pump. While trying to get my controller to talk to my remote I erased the EPROM to reset it (it still doesn't communicate, but that is another problem). I have reprogramed the pool cleaner, and other water features so the controller turns them on and off, but can't get it to communicate with the main pool pump. So, I have just been leaving the main pool pump on at speed 3. Is the main pool pump a function or an auxiliary on the program of the controller? What am I doing wrong.

thanks in advance

Rob,

Ok, I re-read the above and am somewhat confused... :confused: Which is pretty normal for me... :p

You say... "trying to get my controller to talk to my remote"... when you say 'controller' are you talking about the EasyTouch? I assume the 'remote' is a Pentair remote that came with your ET.. If this is true, the remote is operated from the same communications buss that controls the pump. If both your pump and remote will not talk to the ET, that sounds like a main PCB problem. To be honest I'm not sure what the EPROM does, but I would assume it holds all the programming info and controls how the communications buss works.

I suggest you see if your pool builder can have a Pentair tech come out and reprogram your ET. If the equipment is less than three years old it should be under warranty. If out of warranty I would at least see what they might charge to reconfigure your system.

I guess another option would be to purchase a new main PCB, but that will cost between $350 and $500 depending on if you have an ET4 or 8 and if you have a Pool or Spa system or a Pool and Spa system.

I guess one last thing you can try is to disconnect the remote's transceiver (Antenna) from the com buss and see if the pump then works.. (I doubt it, but worth a shot)..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pump not communicating with the EasyTouch is the issue not my remote. I still think it is the cable. Does this happen very often? Is this the cable I need to buy?

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-350122-Cable-elliflo-ellitouch/dp/B002NHZD46/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_lp_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ES871WERHVW2GW0PDTFG&dpID=51Ou22WsmqL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Thanks again for all the help

Rob, the likelihood of a bad cable is just shy of 1000 to 1... But for $15 bucks it can't hurt to try.

I am not sure I was clear, but if the com port on the ET is bad, it cannot control anything... both your pump and remote use the same com port.

Let us know what you find, as it might help others in the future..

Thanks,

Jim R.

And the only way to fix that com port is a new circuit board?

If this were my system I would want someone from Pentair (either one of their techs or their help line) to tell me if erasing the EPROM will cause the com port to quit working... If they say yes, then the I would try to get the EPROM reprogrammed.

Your pool builder should be able to put you in contact with the local company that does all the repair work for Pentair.

Assuming that the com port is actually bad, and it is not EPROM related, that I doubt it can be fixed by people like us... :mad:

The problem is I just 'assume' the com port is bad.. I can't prove it.. and I'd hate for you to buy a new board and it turns out I am wrong.. That is why it would be best if a Pentair tech came out and looked at it. They have spare cards that they can just plug in and try..

I can tell you that my neighbor took a lighting strike that actually blew his water heater apart!! Anyway at the same time my pump and ScreenLogic quit working. Since my system is less than three years old, the Pentair tech came out and the first thing he did was to replace the main board. Once installed, the pump display showed "Display Not Active" and everything worked again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rob,

Can you do the following???

I would also ensure that the EasyTouch knows the type of pump... On the little 3" LCD on your outside EasyTouch unit, do the following... select SETTINGS, IntelliFlo, Pump#1... Under "Speeds" you should see something like the info below...

Pump Type..... VS
RPM.............. 1200
Circuit.....
[Pool]

Please let me know what your EasyTouch Display shows...

Thanks,

Jim R.

rob,

I did a little research and now do not believe that the erased EPROM has anything to do with the communications buss. It basically stores the programs that you enter to configure the ET to your pool.

The question that I still have is... does the pump type need to be set up in the ET before the pump will talk to the ET?? This is why I think it makes sense to ensure the ET is set to expect a VS IntelliFlo pump before going much farther.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.