Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Filter Explosion

May 27, 2017
Louisiana
First, let me say thanks to the forum. I bought a house with a pool about three years ago with absolutely no pool knowledge and I have searched this site a couple of times looking for guidance. However, I think the stunt I pulled today warrants its own post.

So, as the annual family crawfish boil is memorial day weekend, I have been running the filter, brushing, shocking, and doing everything necessary to get the pool ready for this weekend. I came home from work a few days ago I noticed the water level was lower than it should be, just below the higher skimmer. I threw the hose in the pool for a few hours, then primed the pump and turned it on. Once the pump was primed and running water began spewing from what I thought was the band/clamp. I took the filter apart, didn't notice anything out of place but cleaned the filters and everything thoroughly, and put everything back together. I turned the pump back on, same problem; spewing water from the clamp area. So yesterday take the filter apart again and noticed a crack along the bottom of the top piece of the filter, right above the lip where the two different pieces meet, that was about 1/4 of the way around the filter. I decided I would try a fiberglass patch from home depot. I apply the patch, it hardens, and I put everything back together. I prime the pump and it runs for about a minute with no leaks. Thinking I am a genius and just saved myself a bunch of money, I bend over next to the pump to pick up a tool and BOOOOOOOOM. The crack had spread around the entirety of the lip of the top section and it goes flying about 50 feet, over a fence, into the neighbors yard.

I found the manual for the pump online and found the part numbers to replace the top of the filter (and the relief valve which also broke) but I am obviously extremely reluctant to do any more DIY repairs to it. My filter system is pretty simple, there isn't anything between the salt cell and the pool such as additional valves. Therefore, I don't really see how there could be a clog in the line from the filter to the pool.

So what do yall think? Is it possible to have a clog between the filter and the pool? I suppose a root could have broken a pipe undergound, maybe? Should I just replace the top and see what happens? Do I have to replace the entire filter, the lower section and cartridges seem fine? Should I stop being so cheap and just call a pool company?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ouch!!! Glad no one got hurt; that's character building alright and I don't blame you for feeling shaken.

It would be new filter time for me. It's hard to predict what else might have been weakened. If you buy the same you might have some usable spare parts.

Welcome to TFP and good to have you here :)

Wow! Glad to hear your ok! Are your ears still ringing?

I agree, we need to figure out how that filter built up so much pressure that it could explode like that. Are you certain you did not accidentally put the MPV on 'closed'?

See if you can get flow through the return lines..... try using a garden hose to see if water flows freely, or maybe a leaf blower to see if you can get air to pass through.

I assume you do not know what pressure it got to before the event? Surprisingly, with the large surface area of the filter body, a fairly low pressure would equate to a large force. Easily enough to launch the piece quite a ways.

I would agree that an entire new filter should be used. Too much chance of other parts being compromised.

Good Luck!

Please please replace the entire filter and have someone overlook the rest of plumbing..this happened to me recently at a buddy's house except I was standing over tank(because he has wall surrounding equip) and tank nailed me in forehead and could have easily killed me. When we replaced it, also found other cracked plumbing from pressure.

Follow up: with the help of a friend who has had pools his whole life, I broke down my pump/filter system again and confirmed everything else was in good working condition and confirmed that the line didn't have any obstructions. i ordered the replacement top to the filter and put everything back together. Turned on the pump and everything is working fine. Lesson: if a piece of equipment has a crack or a defect, don't try to half butt fix it, replace it.
Thanks for the help all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.