Pentair Challenger Problems

Bandit5

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I replaced all the seals in my old (previous owner installed) Pump to try and solve a leaking problem. The labels tell me it is a Pac-Fab (Challenger) CFII-N1-1A. Which comes out to a 1HP Standard Up Rate pump.

So the diffuser o-ring in the GOKIT5 seems to be a bit thinner than the worn original. I looked at a new diffuser for the pump, but it was a bit different than my current one. The hole to mount onto the impeller is smaller and will not go on, it doesn't have pins to go into the mounting plate, and it does not have a fin on the front like my old one.

So what can I do here? The gasket won't fit, the pump is leaking slightly, my filter is filling up with air (so I have to bleed frequently), and it is a mess.

If I can't fix it, I am looking at just buying the same pump as a direct and easy replacement. Or I was looking at the Energy Efficient Whisperflo (WFE-24). I'm new to replacing hardware (though PVC plumbing is not a problem). Any thoughts on these pumps?

My pool is nothing fancy. It is just a rectangle with a diving well. One skimmer, one main drain, and two returns. That's it. Looking for recommendations. Thanks!

I covered that o-ring with lube. But that is a good point. I can just bring the diffuser to the pool store and find an o-ring that fits. I have actually spent the past few days researching new pumps and am now planning on getting a digital timer. After learning about up/full rated I am leaning toward the Whiserflo WFE-3.

I have implemented a really weird stop gap solution to the air in the returns. I have opened the bleeder valve slightly and left it there. This allows for continuous air bleeding, but is not open enough to let water out. It seems to work well so far. Of course, the pump won't hold prime, but that wasn't happening anyway with the current air leak issue.

I'll get that new o-ring and see if that works.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.