NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a Pentair CCP320 cartridge filter and I was going to takes someone’s suggestion on here and order an extra set of replacement filters for it to use to place while I clean the old set this way I always have a backup.
Does anyone have a good brand recommendation for filters? Online they have a 4 pack for like $150-$200. I called the pool store and they wanted $150 each filter so it would be over $600 for a set of 4, which is insane to me. I’m guessing it’s pentair brand that is expensive or they are just marking them up insane.

Thanks

I’m guessing it’s pentair brand that is expensive or they are just marking them up insane.
A little of both. Pleatco are a go to brand for many.

I'm usually all for having a spare *anything* but I never needed one in 9 years. It took less than an hour total to clean my Pentair filters and that was the only time the system was down. If you don't have the time this weekend, next weekend is fine to wait, or even the one after that. It's not like they are going to blow up, and you're already paying way closer attention to them than 95% of pool owners.

At closing I would give them a good soak/bath and the downtime didnt matter. They were good as new to start the spring.

The argument that with 2 sets they last twice as long is silly. With 4 sets they last 4 times as long. You know ?

So I have not cleaned mine since last year. I didn’t clean them after closing because of our crazy pollen season in NJ right after opening. I was thinking of just letting them be and after the pollen is done clean them. So not that I need a spare set but thinking it would make it easier. But you’re right probably not necessary and now that I know about skimmer socks maybe it won’t be so bad.

I have a Pentair CCP320 cartridge filter and I was going to takes someone’s suggestion on here and order an extra set of replacement filters for it to use to place while I clean the old set this way I always have a backup.
Does anyone have a good brand recommendation for filters? Online they have a 4 pack for like $150-$200. I called the pool store and they wanted $150 each filter so it would be over $600 for a set of 4, which is insane to me. I’m guessing it’s pentair brand that is expensive or they are just marking them up insane.

Thanks
Pleatco 4 pack on Amazon $127.99.

Reactions: newdude
So not that I need a spare set but thinking it would make it easier.
What exactly would be easier ? It takes 15 mins to open, a few mins to swap and 15 mins to close up. (Lets say 35 mins). The filters take 15 mins total to spray off and it has to be done either way, so the whole thing might as well be done in 45 mins, or 35 mins and 15 mins (50 minutes in stages). Is saving 10 minutes today worth robbing 15 mins from yourself in a few days, plus set up time ? And paying a few hundred bucks for the privelege ? So that 2 sets last you twice as long ?

Now. I'm the biggest fan of you do you there is. If you have thought it out and want spares anyway, $127 for 4 is a steal :)

Hi,
NewDude stated in the post above, "At closing I would give them a good soak/bath and the downtime didnt matter. They were good as new to start the spring.". What is a good soaking agent? I was thinking is Simple Green bad for the filters? If so, then what is the recommendation?

Curt

Hey Curtis !!! I stole this from pool school. (Steps 4 and 6)

What is the procedure to clean my cartridge?​

1. Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer's instructions.
  2. Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element. Work from the top down, holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between pleats.
  3. Rinse until all dirt and debris are gone.
  4. For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least on hour (overnight is most effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water.
  5. Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.
  6. If the filter has a coating of alage, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypochlorite), iron, or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops. WARNING: Failure to remove all oils and cleaning solution before acid soaking will result in a permanent restriction of water flow and cause premature cartridge failure.
  7. Rinse the cartridge clean and reassemble housing

I had a big green green landscaper bucket and let them soak a full 24 hours at 50:1 MA. I did not need the TSP bath first but advise it for anyone else. After the 24 hour soak, they came out brand new and got a good rinse.

Reactions: curtisb
My new Waterway 425 filter arrived today. I was in the military when I was younger have always been of the mind set that "two is one and one is none", so I immediately went online and ordered a 2nd set of cartridges. $165

I was going to buy Pleatco's but for some reason pulled the trigger on "Poolpure", not sure if anyone has heard of them or not. I do intend on swapping the filters when it's time to clean them but the real reason I wanted a second set is in case one of them ruptures.

Last edited:
I am one of the ones who did the second set, I guess it is a military thing.. :) I actually have 3 sets now so when 1 set dies I will throw a brand new set in the mix...

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While looking for non-OEM replacement cartridges for my Pentair CC520, I came across the information that Pentair acquired Pleatco last year. Which may explain why I see Pleatco cartridge pricing online that’s now only a little lower than the OEM Pentair cartridges. Some Amazon sellers are theoretically selling Pleatco cartridges for significantly less, but, let’s just say, Amazon has earned my suspicion of anything listed there for a bargain price. Some other manufacturer’s cartridges are listed at more reputable retailers for much less. So does anyone have experience over a few seasons or more with cartridges from any manufacturer other than Pleatco or Pentair? And with online pool parts retailers you trust?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.