Pentair Automation with SWG. EasyTouch or Intellicenter bundle?

Jun 1, 2018
Houston, TX
Adding a SWG and automation. Been reading the forums and thought I knew what I wanted but recently came across a post that made me question that.

I had been planning on getting the EasyTouch8 and IC60 combo and adding Screen Logic: Pentair EasyTouch 8SC-IC60 521150 | PoolSupply4Less
That looks to be about $2400 between the two in equipment.

My reading here suggested there was no need to go with an Intellicenter and I had never seen it combined with SWG before, but recently saw this: Pentair IntelliCenter i5PSIC60 Kit - Pool and Spa with Load Center and IC60
So $400 more in equipment. I think I understand the connectivity with my phone is built in here and screenlogic isn't required?

In addition to SWG, only other things I'd run from automation is a new Intelliflow VS pump, two 2-way valves, heater on/off, and light on/off (maybe colors?).

Can anyone help me out here on EasyTouch/ScreenLogic vs Intellicenter? For 400 bucks in my forever pool am I missing out on anything if I go the EasyTouch route?

Really appreciate the help.

js,

The EasyTouch will do everything you want... That said, the intelliCenter is better.. It won't control things better, but it has the ability to change that the EasyTouch does not have.

The ET has a yellow and black display... The IC is color and can show icons that the ET cannot. The ET has a max of 12 program and schedules.. The IC has 100. The ET is a "what you see is what you get system".. The IC is modular, so that if the need arises, you can add functions with additional modules. The Firmware in the ET is not user programmable. The Firmware in the IC can be downloaded from the internet, just like your home computer. The ET requires the addition of ScreenLogic to be able to use your PC, Phone or Tablet. The IC comes from the factory with a ScreenLogic-like control system.

I have three EasyTouch systems and I see no advantages to upgrades to the IntelliCenter... But... if I were going to build a new pool today, I would buy the IntelliCenter..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Appreciate the reply.

12 schedules sure seems like enough and it's not clear to me what additional features I'd want to add in the future (although of course nobody can predict future). I'd still have open relays with the ET8. Not discounting your comments at all, just talking through why it still appears that $400 would be a waste. Is there any difference between ScreenLogic and the "ScreeLogic-like" control system that comes with the IC?
I'm usually a "pay a little bit more for the newer or better thing" kind of person, so that pushes me towards the IC of course

Thanks again

js,

12 schedules is not really that many.. If for some reason you wanted to say power a Stenner acid pump once an hour for 10 minutes, you'd need 24 schedules.. Say you wanted to run your pump slow most of the time, but wanted to increase your pump speed to help with skimming 4 times a day.. That would take 5 schedules..

It is not unusual, for people to run out of schedules and have to modify how they want their pool to run.

The IntelliCenter also has macros.. This means that one icon or button can do more than one thing.. With an EasyTouch if you wanted to turn on the waterfall and the pool light at the same time, you would have two different actions.. With the IntelliCenter, you could link the two actions with a macro so that one button push would turn on both items.

Like I said... I see nothing worthwhile that would "force" me to upgrade to the new IntelliCenter. But if I got hit by lightning, and had to replace the whole EasyTouch, I would install the new IntelliCenter.

For the majority of pool owner, the only difference between the EasyTouch and the IntelliCenter would be the name written on the main cabinet. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, can you help explain what a "schedule" is? I've never used automation before. Sounds like each on/off that you want to happen at a scheduled time constitutes one schedule. So turn pump on X speed in morning, then lower to Y speed at night, every day. That's two schedules? I'm trying to think how I'll want to use this since VS pump and SWG will be new to me. Stenner pump isn't something I have, but I could foresee that as a future add if I end up always having to add acid.

With EasyTouch can you set up all these schedules via Screenlogic or does that happen at the panel?

I just found someone selling a brand new ScreenLogic kit on marketplace for $50. As much as I love shiny new stuff, I also love a deal : )

Js,

I guess another way to say it would be that the EasyTouch has 12 spots where it can remember "something."
If you want the pool to come on at 8 am and run until 8 pm, that would be one memory spot or schedule..
If you wanted the spa to come on at 8 pm and warm up to 90 degrees.. That would take a memory slot.
If you wanted the spa to increase the heat to 104 at 9 pm, that would be a memory slot.
If you want the pump to change speed at 9 am.. that would be one memory spot.
If you wanted to manually turn something on and then automatically turn off an hour later, that would be a memory spot. (These are called egg-timers)
If you wanted to set up a special schedule to run just once, that would take up a memory slot.. (These are called run-once)

I am not trying to talk you out of the EasyTouch.. It works just fine for most pool owners..

Make sure whatever you buy used is a ScreenLogic2 and not the very old original ScreenLogic.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Consider that either ET or IC can be used to control more than just a pool. You could connect anything electrical to it, and control and schedule the on/off of those things from phone or computer: garden lights, bistro lights, bug zapper, misters, fountain, you name it. That can be done with Home Automation systems, too, but you might like having all that control in just one interface, especially with that macro capability.

Don't underestimate the upgradeability factor. That's huge and, for me, would be worth the upgrade price alone. Macros would be awesome: one click and your yard and pool are in party mode, a different click and it's in romance mode. Pretty cool.

I could use up 12 schedule spots no problem, just for my pool, not counting pool light and/or all those other things.

I consider buying my "under-powered" automation controller my single biggest pool-purchase mistake. My ET PSL4 is about the worst model to own. And after hearing Jim's description, I'm sorely tempted to upgrade my ET to an IC.

By the way, I might have an ET for sale, cheap! ;)

Js,

I guess another way to say it would be that the EasyTouch has 12 spots where it can remember "something."
If you want the pool to come on at 8 am and run until 8 pm, that would be one memory spot or schedule..
If you wanted the spa to come on at 8 pm and warm up to 90 degrees.. That would take a memory slot.
If you wanted the spa to increase the heat to 104 at 9 pm, that would be a memory slot.
If you want the pump to change speed at 9 am.. that would be one memory spot.
If you wanted to manually turn something on and then automatically turn off an hour later, that would be a memory spot. (These are called egg-timers)
If you wanted to set up a special schedule to run just once, that would take up a memory slot.. (These are called run-once)

I am not trying to talk you out of the EasyTouch.. It works just fine for most pool owners..

Make sure whatever you buy used is a ScreenLogic2 and not the very old original ScreenLogic.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The Screenlogic stuff is claimed to be new in box. Box P/Ns show 520500 and 522620. From what I can tell this combo is what I want? Agree?

Thanks for explanation on schedules. I'll think about it a bit more.

I just found someone selling a brand new ScreenLogic kit on marketplace for $50.

The Screenlogic stuff is claimed to be new in box.

Proceed w/ caution as packages stolen by porch pirates often get sold on Facebook marketplace, so make sure you check out the sellers profile and rating.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.