Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
TFP Forum,

I just had a Pentair SuperFlo VST and IC40 SWG installed, and I would like to get automation, preferably through my smartphone, installed.

I’ve seen competing responses about whether the IntelliCenter vs EasyTouch support for my pump. My pump does include the data cable port on it.

Does the IntelliCenter work with the SuperFlo VST? I’d prefer that route but need some guidance.

Thanks!

V,

You say you have a "data" cable.. You need an RS-485 cable..

Just to make sure what you actually have, look at the end of the cable that just has the wires. If the cable only has two wires (green and yellow) then you have an RS-485 cable.. If the end of your wires has several wires ( I think about 6 or so) then you have a data cable and no automation will easily control your pump.

Also, we need to know the date your VST was manufactured.. It should be on one of the pump labels.

Thanks,

Jim R.

V,

Here is the problem.. The original SuperFlo's did not have an RS-485 connection, they just had a data cable connection.

Reading the manual it appears any VST manufactured in 2021, has the RS-485 port..

But, since these are so new, no one here has actually seen one. :(

My IntelliFlo has RS-485 and that same connector only has 7 pins.. Out of those 7 pins, only two are actually used. You connector appears to have more than 7 pins.

Did a control cable come with your new SuperFlo? A cable came come with the IntelliFlo.

Does the label say SuperFlo VS or does it say VST??

The reason for all the questions is that we don't want to give you the wrong answer..

While I wait for your answers, I'm going to do some more research..

Thanks,

Jim R

V,

Ok... I think we have it now..

If you actually have the VST dated this year, then your pump can be controlled by an RS-485 cable. The cable does not come with the pump.

Your RS-485 cable is P/N 356324Z and has a different connector than the IntelliFlo cable.

The "IntelliConnect" cannot control your pump, but the EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, and the new IntelliCenter can.. You may have to set it to VS and not VST for it to work.

You will be our guinea pig for this installation.. :mrgreen:

Please let us know how it all works out, as it may help others in the future.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Yes. Mine is a VST. Just installed yesterday in fact.
I counted the pins and appears there are eight but same port as the connector you’re describing on the IntelliFlo.
Good to know I’ll be the guinea pig - I’m known by friends to be the beta tester type. It’s too bad Pentair hasn’t updated their documentation of this or even offer it up. My pool contractor was completely thinking I’d have to get the EasyTouch.
I’ll get some quotes and see how this works out. Any recommendations or the P/N for the correct IntelliCenter model?

V,

Here is a link to various options.. IntelliCenter Complete Systems

You need to decide what you want the system to do...

How many relays do you want? What do you want to control??
Do you have pool and spa or just a pool?
Do you have any water features?
Do you plan to go with a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) for sanitization.. (What I would do for sure..)
Tell me what all you envision your automation system doing...

Thanks,

Jim R.

V,

Here is a link to various options.. IntelliCenter Complete Systems

You need to decide what you want the system to do...

How many relays do you want? What do you want to control??
Do you have pool and spa or just a pool?
Do you have any water features?
Do you plan to go with a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) for sanitization.. (What I would do for sure..)
Tell me what all you envision your automation system doing...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim - I'll piggyback here since i'm looking at the same product and was trying to figure out precisely what you're talking about..

the main choice in setup for the intellicenter itself seems to be only the number of relays. how does one figure out how many they need? in my case, it would be to control Intelliflo, IC40, NG Heater, waterfall booster, pool lights, x2 transformers for landscape lights. and i would want some room for expanding the setup (intelliph perhaps, or other stuff im sure i'll eventually buy lol).

cheers

Mostly,

They have models that are for just a Pool OR Spa. They have models that are for Pool AND Spa
They have models that come with Internal SWCG power centers.. These also come with either an IC40 or IC60
All the above come with either 5, 8 or 10 relays..

IntelliFlo pumps and Heaters do not require any relay as they are controlled by low voltage signals.

One of the high voltage relays is dedicated as the Pump/Filter relay.. Even if not needed and can't be used for anything else.. This leaves 4, 7, or 9 "Aux" relays

Aux relays are used to control external device that required 120/240 Volt AC power to run.. Things like lights, blower motors, single speed or 2-speed pump motors, booster pumps, etc..

The stock units can control 4 valves.. Intake and Return valve drivers which cannot be used for anything else.. And A and B valve drivers that are user programable.. You can also buy add on cards that allow you more valve drivers

Plus more stuff...

You really need to outline exactly how you wish your pool to work before you dig the hole in the ground.. The plumbing must me set up so that it can do what you want it to do..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mostly,

They have models that are for just a Pool OR Spa. They have models that are for Pool AND Spa
They have models that come with Internal SWCG power centers.. These also come with either an IC40 or IC60
All the above come with either 5, 8 or 10 relays..

IntelliFlo pumps and Heaters do not require any relay as they are controlled by low voltage signals.

One of the high voltage relays is dedicated as the Pump/Filter relay.. Even if not needed and can't be used for anything else.. This leaves 4, 7, or 9 "Aux" relays

Aux relays are used to control external device that required 120/240 Volt AC power to run.. Things like lights, blower motors, single speed or 2-speed pump motors, booster pumps, etc..

The stock units can control 4 valves.. Intake and Return valve drivers which cannot be used for anything else.. And A and B valve drivers that are user programable.. You can also buy add on cards that allow you more valve drivers

Plus more stuff...

You really need to outline exactly how you wish your pool to work before you dig the hole in the ground.. The plumbing must me set up so that it can do what you want it to do..

Thanks,

Jim R.
thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would like to know the outcome of this as well. I have the superflo pump and it is currently tying up 2 of my relays. If the new com cable can change pump speeds without using my relays, I would like to do this. My pump was manufactured in Nov. 2020, however the manual states after October 2020 should be able to use the com connection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.